Chapter 87: Tears In Heaven

Jude

I'm the bigger person.

After spending an amazing afternoon slash night slash morning after with my mate, I knew it was time for me to give way and let my brother take his turn with Beck. He deserves it just as much as I do.

Sadly, he wasn't in the house when I brought Beck home with me. He was away visiting his best friend, which is actually a great idea. I haven't seen Layla since last year on her birthday. I should catch up with her and find out how she has been with Owen as her mate.

That would be a good idea and I should get right on it. But first, I needed to take my mate to his cousin's house. They sure needed to talk, given the fact that they haven't seen each other since Christmas.

Once I dropped him off, I texted Quentin to let him know where Beck was and that he should be the one to pick him up later. It's his time to be with our mate and I had to respect that. Quentin was delighted to read my message and thanked me with a heart emoji. That's big for him.

With my afternoon schedule wide open, I texted Layla to check if I could stop by her house. Now that she's mated, I need to see first if she's available. Who knows what those two lovebirds could be doing right now... *winks*

Apparently, not what I thought they would be doing at this point.

Layla greeted me as she welcomed me into her house. I greeted her mom and younger siblings, all the while staring at her in curiosity. This is not the image I thought I'd be seeing of her at this point.

"Why are you staring at me like a freak?" - She glared at me with a confused expression on her face. We're inside her room now and I can't wait to find out what's going on.

"It's January 3rd. You have been mated for some twelve days now. How come you still don't have a mate mark? Isn't Owen the man that you wanted as a mate? Didn't you say it had to be him? What gives?" - I questioned her, intrigued to find out her reasoning as for not having completed the bond yet.

What is she waiting for? It's been nearly two weeks! What 's the holdup?

"Not everybody is a horndog like you, J. I'm taking my time, that's all." - She replied, glaring daggers at me for my accusatory tone.

"It's because he didn't wait for you, isn't it? I knew it!" - I guessed it since I knew she wasn't happy about that. In her mind, he should've waited for her so they'd lose their virginity together.

"No, I'm not punishing him by withholding the bond completion! I'm not that petty! I genuinely want to take my time before I make this decision, that's it." - She explained in a shy, but angry manner.

"Sure... you are taking your time to be with the boy you fought tooth and nail to get... The boy who has been in love with you since you were 12. Okay, then." - I'm not convinced by this at all and my tone is indicating that to her.

But hey, to each their own. If she wants to wait, she should be allowed to. Good for her, I guess.

"Anyway..." - She tried to change the subject. - "It has been great to spend this time with him away from school. He has been taking me on amazing dates. It's been a blast so far." - She sounded smitten by him, which I do understand. He is an amazing young man.

"I'm glad to hear, my friend. It's good that you're having this time before we have to return to school. Goddess knows the storm that Elaine is bringing to you. I heard something about an assassination plan..." - I commented, feeling a bit uneasy about the whole thing.

Layla smirks as she hears these words.

"She can certainly try, that bitch!" - She sassed, sounding revolted. - "She better bring a big gun, because nothing's gonna stop me now!" - She stated, defiantly.