Chapter 41: Keep on Loving You

Beck

There are two realities in my world.

The first is that by the age of 13, at the latest, you'll shift into a fully realized wolf. The fur can vary according to your ethnicity, but you will shift under the full moon after your birthday.

The first full moon after you turn 12 or 13, depending on your case. Some people shift at 11, but that's rare. It's a date popularly known as your consecration to the Moon [Goddess] and it's an auspicious occasion for a pup.

The second is that by the age of 18, you should meet the person you're gonna spend the rest of your life with. A person who wasn't chosen by you, but for you.

You are allowed to reject the chosen individual, but are discouraged from doing so. People who reject their mates don't tend to live fulfilled lives, save if they take extreme measures.

But even so, it's not guaranteed. You can't cheat a powerful Goddess. You can deny her, if you want, but there are consequences if you do.

This is what I have learned since I was a child, witnessing people shifting into a wolf almost in front of me. Technically, no one in their right mind is gonna put a naked person in front of a child so they can shift into a wolf, but you can do it clothed if you don't mind ripping it apart.

Anyway, this is the reality I grew up with.

Granted, neither of these things have happened to me yet but I'm told it happens to everyone else who's a werewolf, no matter the tribe or pack.

Anywhere in the world, the reality is the same for everyone. This doesn't vary according to your nationality. It's universal.

It's an inescapable truth that we have to face. You have no choice in the matter. You will shift and meet your mate. It's possible that you will never meet them in your lifetime, but exceedingly rare.

The Goddess wouldn't waste a pairing just so that the two individuals never meet each other.

There are instances back in my tribe that people met their mates on a hunting trip, already in their early 30's.

I have no idea how am I going to discover my mate or when I'll be found by him, will I even feel something like everyone else does.

The proper reaction to being discovered by your mate is your inner wolf comes through and it marks its presence by making your eyes shine. The brighter they shine, the closer you are to your wolf spirit.

That's also why when you shift into a wolf, your eyes shine. Because your wolf spirit is taking over your body. All these things I was taught.

I never got to experience my first shift or my eyes shining. I don't know how to mind link anyone because I never could. Even in my old pack.

But I have faith that my mate will one day be revealed to me. I know I can't discover them, even after I turn 18. It's just not in the cards for me, this much is clear by now.

All I can do is hope for the best.

It's Monday. As soon as we stepped foot inside the classroom, Jude, Layla and I heard Quentin crying out in desperation.

In front of us, the reason why he was inconsolable. Cassie has just got mated to Bode. Both of their eyes are shining right now. It's unmistakable.

They declared 'mate' to each other and just stood there, frozen in time. Bode's mesmerized by her. Cassie is emotional right now. And so is him.

As they stand in front of each other, Bode tears up. He's frightful that she'll reject him because of what happened between him and the heat stricken omega.