Chapter 2

Louise was forcefully dragged through the hallway and up the stairs, her body feeling bruised and battered from the rough handling. The maid's grip on her arm was firm, and Louise could hardly keep up with the maid's hurried pace. As they arrived in the attic, she caught a glimpse of a room at the end of the hallway. It was small and dimly lit, with only a narrow bed and a single, small window letting in any light. The maid finally threw her into the room, slamming the door shut behind her.

Alone and terrified, Louise collapsed on the bed, her body shaking with sobs. She couldn't believe what had happened. Just moments ago, she had only arrived at this place, and now she was locked away in this tiny room, treated like a servant. Is it a crime to be black? She didn't understand. As Louise continued to sob on her bed, there was a knock on the door. A middle-aged woman, a maid who looked similar to Louise, with a dark complexion, thick black hair, and almond-shaped eyes, slowly opened the door and peeked inside. She walked towards the sobbing girl and knelt beside her, gently placing a hand on her shoulder.

"Shh... shh... It is going to be alright, child. I know it's hard, but you must be strong," the maid whispered, her voice soft and comforting.

"I-is it a crime t-to be b-black? Aunt Abigail s-said..." Louise wailed between sobs, her voice barely audible. The woman hesitated for a moment, unsure how much to reveal to the frightened girl.

"No, child, it is not a crime," she finally replied, her voice steady and reassuring. "Some people just do not understand the beauty of having different colours in this world. But that does not make you any less special or deserving of love and kindness."

She reached out and gently wiped away a tear from Louise's cheek. "You see, I am just like you. My father was a servant here, and my mother... well, she disappeared when I was very young. So, I grew up here and I know what it is like to feel lost and alone." The woman drew a deep breath, trying to steady her own emotions. "But there are good people here, too. People who do not care about skin colour or family history. You will find your place, I promise."

"Now what is your name? You must have one," she asked softly, as she continued to stroke the girl's hair.

"L-L-Louise," the girl stammered between sniffles. The maid smiled warmly. "A lovely name. Mine is Amina. Now, let's get you cleaned up and changed into something more comfortable. We cannot have you looking a mess, can we?" Amina helped Louise to her feet, guiding her towards a small washbasin and a stack of neatly folded clothes on the floor. "These belonged to me when I was younger. They should fit you well enough."

She motioned for Louise to undress, then turned her back to give the girl some privacy. As Louise washed her face and arms, she felt a strange mix of emotions. On one hand, she was terrified and confused by the events that had transpired. On the other, Amina's kindness and understanding made her feel a tiny bit better. She changed into the clean clothes and, once she was done, they both made their way to the kitchen. Amina explained that she was now the head maid and that she would be responsible for showing Louise the ropes.

Over the next month, Louise worked alongside Amina, learning the ins and outs of being a maid at the manor. She helped with the cleaning, laundry, and cooking, quickly discovering that she had a natural talent for it. Amina was a patient teacher, always encouraging and praising Louise's efforts. They spent their breaks sitting by the window, sharing stories about their lives and dreams for the future.

As Louise was washing the dishes, she felt a tap on her back. She turned around to see her sister Lucy. They had not seen each other in a while.

"Lucy! I thought I would never see you again!" Louise exclaimed, her heart swelling with happiness. She quickly dried her hands and rushed over to hug her sister. "Oh, I have missed you so much!"