Chapter 4

As Louise lay sobbing on the dusty attic floor, her body wracked with grief and betrayal, a soft knock echoed through the room. Startled, she wiped away her tears and struggled to stand up, wondering who could possibly be there. Standing in the doorway was Amina.

Amina's eyes widened as she asked gently, "My dear child, what is the matter? Why are you crying?" Louise, unable to contain her emotions, burst into tears. The harsh treatment, the rejection, it was all too much. Amina entered the room and sat beside her on the bed, placing a comforting hand on her shoulder.

"My dear Louise, whatever is the matter?" asked Amina again, genuinely concerned. "A-aunt...is...sending...me...to...a... boarding...school...." stammered Louise with tears streaming down her face.

Amina's eyes widened with shock. "What? Why, dear girl?" she asked, her voice trembling slightly. "You have been nothing but good. I don't understand why Lady Abigail would send you away."

"S-she has never liked me...it seems they only kept me here because...my...father offered them...money..." Louise trailed off, her voice barely audible as she fought back fresh tears. Amina's eyes widened further, and she drew the younger girl into her arms, holding her close as she rocked gently back and forth.

"What about your sister? Is she being sent away as well? Perhaps she could accompany you," Amina suggested, her voice tight with emotion. "Aunt Abigail...said Lucy can stay here...to live a life of wealth and privilege...while I am sent away..." Louise's voice trailed off, the words barely audible over the sobs that racked her body. "I-I don't understand why she hates me so much."

Amina held the girl tighter, tears streaming down her own face. "Perhaps it is not hated, my dear. Sometimes people are so consumed by their own desires and ambitions that they cannot see past them. They forget how to love or care for those around them. It is a sad truth about the world we live in." She sniffled, wiping away a tear. "But you must remember that you are not alone. I will miss you terribly, Louise. You have been like a daughter to me, and I will always cherish our time together."

Louise looked up at Amina, her own tears beginning to subside. She felt a strange sense of comfort in the older woman's words. "I will miss you too, Amina. You have been the only one who has ever treated me with kindness. I hope that one day I can come back to live with you again."

Amina smiled sadly. "I hope so too, my dear. Perhaps one day things will change. In the meantime, I will do everything in my power to ensure that you are safe and cared for at your new school. You must promise me that you will stay strong and never forget the love that we have for each other."

The two women sat in silence for a moment, the weight of their impending separation heavy in the air. Finally, Amina stood up, wiping away her tears and straightening her dress. "Now, then. We must make the most of the time we have left. Why let us go to the field and pick some flowers for your new room at the boarding school? It will be a little piece of home for you while you are away."

Louise smiled through her own tears and nodded. "That would be lovely, Amina. I would like that very much." They walked hand in hand through the gardens, their laughter and conversation occasionally punctuated by a tear or a sob, as they tried to find a way to make the best of a terrible situation. Amina showed Louise her favourite spots in the garden where the flowers grew in profusion, and they spent a precious hour filling a basket with flowers of every colour.

The day of her departure arrived far too soon, and as Louise packed her things, she could feel the knot of anxiety in her stomach growing tighter with each passing moment. Amina, seeing the distress on her face, tried to reassure her. "You know, my dear, this is not the end. It is merely a new beginning. You will make new friends, learn new things, and perhaps even find your true calling at this school. You must hold onto that hope."

Louise forced a weak smile, wishing she could believe the words as much as Amina seemed to. "I will miss you terribly, Amina," she said, her voice barely audible. "But I promise to write you every week, and I will never forget the love and kindness you have shown me."

"I shall miss you too, my dear," Amina replied, her voice cracking slightly as she hugged Louise one final time. "But remember, no matter what happens, you will always have a home here with me. And if ever you need anything, or simply want to talk, you must write to me immediately. I will always be here for you."

Louise nodded, her eyes filling with tears once more as she clutched her box of belongings to her chest. "Thank you, Amina. I love you." With one final, trembling breath, she turned and walked slowly down the stairs, her footsteps echoing through the manor.

Amina watched her disappear from the top of the grand staircase, her heart aching with the weight of their parting. She wiped away the last of her tears and straightened her dress, taking a deep breath to steady herself to go back to work. Louise wandered through the manor, taking one last look at the expensive furnishings and grandiose architecture that she had grown up with. The massive chandeliers cast a warm, golden glow over the polished wooden floors and pristine white walls, while intricately patterned rugs cushioned her feet from the cold marble. She paused before a massive family portrait, a picture with Aunt Abigail, Uncle Edward, her cousin, and finally... Lucy.

Louise walked slowly toward the grand entrance of the manor, the gravel crunching beneath her worn boots. She wore her favourite teal green trench coat, clutched tight against the chill morning air. Approaching the waiting carriage, she saw her Aunt Abigail and twin sister Lucy already gathered, their postures stiff, faces etched with disdain. Louise stopped in front of them, took a deep breath to steady her nerves, and with eyes downcast, gave a small deferential bow. She could feel their glares burning into her, a mix of disgust and excitement at her departure.

Louise hesitated, stealing a glance at her sister's beautiful face one last time, hoping to find even a hint of the affection and understanding that had once been there. But there was nothing. Her sister's eyes were cold and empty, reflecting only eagerness to see the back of the girl she had once called sister. Heart heavy, Louise gathered her skirts and climbed into the old, well-worn carriage, settling onto the faded velvet seat as the horses whinnied impatiently. Gripping the edge of the seat, Louise peered out at her family through the smudged glass.

Backs already turned, Aunt Abigail and Lucy made their way back into the manor without a single glance back at Louise. She sighed, feeling the tears prick at her eyes once more. With a snap of the reins, the carriage jerked forward, beginning the long journey away from the only home Louise had ever known. She watched with tear-filled eyes as the manor grew smaller, fading into the distance. The road went through the green countryside, trees and wildflowers moving in the wind, the sun shining brightly, making everything look warm and golden. But Louise felt empty inside, despite the beautiful surroundings.

Louise gazed until the magnificent house vanished from sight entirely as they turned onto the main road, leaving her feeling as if a part of her had been left behind. She tried to distract herself by taking in the sights around her, but the beauty of the countryside seemed to mock her in its serenity. Everywhere she looked, there was life and movement and colour, and yet she felt more alone than she ever had before.

The carriage trundled on, wind and early morning mist sweeping through the countryside. As they passed by small villages, the houses blurred into a patchwork of colours and shapes, each one holding its own story within its walls. Louise wondered about the lives of the people who lived there, their daily routines, and the joys they found in simple pleasures.

Louise leaned her head on the window as the carriage bumped down the road, watching the farms and fields of her childhood go by. Soon there were more trees as they travelled farther from home, the rocking of the carriage making Louise think about the past. She pictured the sun-drenched meadows where she once frolicked with Lucy, with not a care in the world. She could hear the echo of their youthful laughter, see Lucy's smile glowing brighter than any star, feel the warmth of her embrace. Those joy-filled memories cut like a knife. Would they haunt Louise forever?