Chapter 32

She blinked, trying to make sense of where she was. The room was large and grand, with wooden furniture and a canopy bed that loomed before her like a throne. The air smelled faintly of lavender and chamomile, and the soft rustle of sheets told her that she must be under the covers. She felt groggy and disoriented, as if she had been asleep for days. As she sat up, a sharp pain lanced through her head, making her wince. 

Her movements were slow and clumsy, as if she were trying to remember how to use her limbs. The room spun dizzily around her, and she had to lean back against the pillows to steady herself. She rubbed her eyes, blinking away the fuzziness. Memories came flooding back to her: the push, the fall, the pain. Sebastian's face, distraught and anguished, filled her mind. He had been so kind to her, so understanding. And then there was Lord Warrington, his cold, hard features twisted with disgust and revulsion. It was all too much. She buried her face in her hands, trying to shut out the memories and the emotions that threatened to overwhelm her.

She glanced around the room, looking for something familiar. There, on a table by the window, was a vase of flowers she recognized: red roses, the same ones that had been in the foyer earlier that day. It must be Katherine's doing. She let out a small sigh of relief, grateful for the kindness. And then she thought of Lady Cordelia's love and kindness, and how she had never received such treatment from her own mother. A pang of longing struck her, and she fought back tears. With a heavy heart, she nestled down under the covers, trying to find a comfortable position. As she closed her eyes, the room seemed to spin, and her eyelids grew heavy once more. She drifted off, the soft murmur of voices in the distance lulling her into a deep sleep.

Louise found herself ensnared in the clutches of her past hurt as she slept. Nightmares haunted her, vivid scenes of her aunt's cruelty replaying in her mind. The shadows of the past twisted and contorted, echoing Abigail's harsh words, the accusations, and the beatings. In her sleep, Louise wrestled with unseen demons, her body drenched in cold sweat as the weight of the memories pressed down on her. 

Abruptly, she awoke, gasping for air, the remnants of the nightmare still clinging to her consciousness. A lifetime of scraping by on meagre pity and kindness had instilled in her a sobering realization - her love with Sebastian was futile, a dream come true but ultimately no more than a fantasy. The betrayals and hurt of her past still haunted her - from Aunt Abigail's cruelty to her sister's rejection, her mother and father's deaths and Mary's death. The weight of these memories seemed to bear down upon her, suffocating her.

She knew it was time to leave, to escape the suffering that seemed to stain the Warrington Manor's walls. Though it pained her deeply, she had to run from the problems and issues that had plagued her for too long. She had fulfilled her promise to Mary but could no longer exist solely for her - Louise needed to live for herself. The first rays of sunlight streamed through the window, painting the room in warm hues. 

Louise rose slowly, her limbs heavy with the weight of her decision. Louise slowly got off the bed, the pain in her head throbbing with every movement. She steadied herself and made her way to the door, opening it cautiously. The hallway was empty and quiet as she slipped out of the unfamiliar room. Step by step, she walked until she reached her own chamber. She paused at the entrance, gathering her courage before entering.

Once inside, she leaned against the door and took a shaky breath. The room was just as she had left it, the same familiar and comforting mess. She walked over to her bed, sat down on the edge, and buried her face in her hands. The weight of her decision felt almost unbearable, but she knew it was for the best. She had to leave, no matter how much her heart ached to stay. With resolve, Louise changed into a traveling dress and gathered her belongings. She moved slowly, wincing at her throbbing head. When she was dressed, she began packing her few belongings into a small box.