Chapter 29

"What are you doing in here, governess?" Lady Marianne hissed, her gaze darting between Louise and Sebastian.

Louise remained calm as she replied "That is between me and Mr. Warrington. He is my employer, not you, Lady Marianne." She placed a hand on her hip, trying to appear confident despite the trembling she felt inside. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I have important matters to attend to." She turned to leave but was stopped by the other woman's grip on her arm.

"I suggest you stay in your place, governess," Lady Marianne snapped, her grip tightening on Louise's arm. "You have no business being in here, much less behaving in such a familiar manner with the master of the house." Her gaze flickered toward Sebastian, who was slowly getting angry.

"Lady Marianne! How dare you," Sebastian growled, stepping between them. "This is none of your concern. The governess and I are discussing matters that do not involve you." He placed a firm hand on her shoulder, trying to push her away, but she remained rooted to the spot. "I suggest you leave immediately, before I have to call for Mr Davenport to escort you from the manor."

Lady Marianne's eyes flashed with anger and defiance, but she knew better than to cross Sebastian. With a huff, she pulled her arm free from Louise's grasp and stormed away, her silk gown swirling angrily behind her leaving Sebastian and Louise in the study alone.

The next day, Louise was teaching Katherine in the library when there was a knock at the door. It was Sebastian holding a small chest. "Katherine, this is for you," he said with a smile. "It belonged to your mother." Katherine looked up at him, her eyes wide with curiosity. "She often spoke of it to me," he continued, "and I thought it would be nice for you to have it."

As Katherine took the chest from him, she noticed that it was carved with intricate designs, almost as if they were telling a story. She ran her fingers over the smooth wood, feeling a sense of connection to her mother that she hadn't experienced in a long time. "Thank you, father," she said softly, her eyes shining with emotion.

Katherine unfolded a letter from her mother, which she found inside the chest. "Did Mother write in this?" she asked. Sebastian nodded, a sad smile on his face. "Yes, she enjoyed writing down her thoughts but after a while she stopped." He paused, taking a deep breath before continuing. "I think it was around the time when we had our...differences. But you may read it if you like."

As she read her mother's words, tears welled up in Katherine's eyes. Louise watched nearby, her heart swelling at the tender scene. Although her mother was not a good person, she was still Katherine's mother. And they wanted to give Katherine the chance to know the woman who had given her life, hiding the dark past and only showing her the good.

Later that night, Louise was cleaning up the lesson materials, when there was a knock at the door. It was Sebastian, he pulled her into his embrace. "Thank you for pushing me about Katherine," he murmured. "As painful as it was at first, you were right."

Louise smiled up at him. "I am just happy to see you both so at peace now."

Sebastian nodded; his expression thoughtful. "You are truly amazing, you know that? You've brought so much joy and stability to this household in such a short time. I am eternally grateful for all you've done." His fingers traced softly along her jawline, his gaze lingering on her lips.

Louise felt her heart flutter in response to his touch and words. As Louise was about to respond, Sebastian's lips met hers in a passionate kiss. She could feel the intensity of his emotions, the gratitude and desire that surged through him. His hands cupped her face, guiding her closer, as if he could not get enough of her. The kiss deepened, their tongues tangling in a dance of desire, and Louise could feel herself melting into him. She wrapped her arms around his neck, losing herself in the moment, in the connection they shared.

Louise was walking through the hallway when she saw Lord Warrington. "Miss Louise, I wish to speak with you. Would you walk with me?" He said coldly, his face pale and his eyes narrowed.

Louise nodded politely. "Of course, my lord." They began walking side by side down the long hallway. The air was thick with tension, and she could feel Lord Warrington's anger emanating from him in waves.

She braced herself for whatever he had to say. "Tell me...do you harbour any particular affection for my son Sebastian?" Lord Warrington asked finally, his voice as cold as ice.

Louise's heartbeat quickened but she kept her expression neutral. "No, my lord, I do not have any special feelings for Mr. Warrington. We have a professional relationship as employer and staff, nothing more." she lied, trying to sound sincere.

Lord Warrington raised an eyebrow. "Are you quite certain, Miss Louise? I could not help but notice certain glances passing between you, a certain familiarity in your interactions." He paused, his gaze boring into her.

Louise maintained her composure. "You are mistaken, my lord. I assure you there is nothing inappropriate between Mr. Warrington and myself. We maintain proper distance at all times." She lowered her gaze, hoping her words would convince him.

"Hmm, well that is good to hear," Lord Warrington replied. "Because Sebastian has important duties and obligations to this family that must come before anything else. I expect you to understand that and respect his position, Miss Louise. I trust that you will not do anything that could jeopardize his position or the stability of this household."

"He cannot afford to waste time and energy on frivolous relationships, especially with someone wholly unsuitable." Lord Warrington's voice was like a knife cutting through the air. "You are a governess, Miss Louise. A servant. Sebastian's place is not with you."

Louise felt her cheeks burn with embarrassment and anger at the insult, but she held her tongue. "Yes, my lord. I understand your concerns and will respect Sebastian's position and priorities," she said through gritted teeth. "My only wish is to continue helping him be the best father he can be."

Lord Warrington continued on "Though you seem like a decent young woman, Miss Louise. But you must understand there are proper rules for society. Sebastian has responsibilities as the next Lord Warrington. He cannot just frolic around with...someone like...you." His voice trailed off, but the implication was clear.

He paused, giving her a condescending glance. "Miss Louise, you are an intelligent woman. You must know a dalliance between yourself, and my son can never lead anywhere appropriate. Save yourself the trouble and keep your interactions strictly professional." His words stung, but Louise refused to let him see the pain they caused. Instead, she nodded curtly and forced a small smile.

By this time, they had reached the end of the hallway. Lord Warrington gave a curt nod. "Good day, Miss Louise." Then he turned on his heel and strode away, leaving a heartbroken and humiliated Louise standing alone. The weight of his words pressed heavily upon her; she knew this would happen, but she had hoped for a different outcome.