Chapter 13

One afternoon, as Louise was tidying up her chambers, there came a knock at the door. She opened it to find Mr. Davenport, the head butler. "Pardon me, Miss Louise," he said with a small bow. "Lady Cordelia requests your presence in the parlour."

"Of course, please lead the way," Louise replied, quickly smoothing her dress and following Mr. Davenport down the hall. She wondered what Lady Cordelia might wish to discuss. As they entered the parlour, she found Lady Cordelia seated elegantly on a settee, a cup of tea steaming on the low table beside her. The lady looked up at Louise with a large smile.

"Ah, Miss Louise, thank you for coming," Lady Cordelia greeted warmly. "Please, do have a seat and join me." She gestured towards an empty chair across from her. As Louise sat down, she noticed the lady's eyes studying her carefully, almost curiously.

Lady Cordelia began preparing two cups of tea, speaking as she did so. "I wished to speak with you privately, to thank you for the marvellous work you have done with dear Katherine. She has absolutely blossomed under your care." She paused, pouring tea into delicate china cups. "It must have been a challenge, I must admit, but you have risen to the occasion admirably."

Louise flushed with pride. "You are too generous, Lady Cordelia. Katherine is a bright and talented girl - it is my pleasure to teach her." She sipped her tea, her voice as smooth and cool as the liquid in the cup.

"Oh, do not diminish your role, my dear," Cordelia insisted with a warm smile. "Katherine can be wilful at times, as I am sure you experienced. But you have managed to earn her trust and bring out the best in her. I cannot thank you enough for your dedication and care."

Louise smiled graciously. "I am happy to have gained Katherine's trust, but I cannot take all the credit. She is a remarkable girl."

Lady Cordelia nodded fondly. "Indeed, she is. I always hoped Katherine would excel in her schooling, yet her past governesses had such difficulty connecting with her. You are the first to truly reach her, and for that, you have my utmost appreciation."

"You are too kind, my lady," Louise replied, her voice as cool and composed as ever.

"I also wished to say," Cordelia continued thoughtfully, "should you need anything - anything at all - to aid you in your position here, please do not hesitate to ask."

"You are most generous, Lady Cordelia," Louise replied, touched by the woman's sincerity. "Thus far I want for nothing - you and Mr. Warrington have provided exceedingly well for me here."

At the mention of her employer, Louise felt a flutter of curiosity about the manor's mysterious owner. Though she served in his household, she had yet to meet the wealthy Mr. Warrington, who spent much of his time away on business.

Noticing Louise's curiosity about Mr. Warrington, Lady Cordelia smiled understandingly. "You are wondering about my son, Mr. Warrington, are you not?"

Louise flushed, embarrassed to be so obvious. "Forgive me, my lady. It is not my place to pry."

"Nonsense, it is only natural you should wonder about him," Cordelia dismissed kindly. "I do hope you shall have the chance to meet him someday. I am sure you would get along quite well."

"I would be honoured to make his acquaintance, my lady," Louise replied politely, though in truth she held no expectations of befriending the elusive Mr. Warrington. She was, after all, just a governess in his household, a mere servant. It was not her place to form such connections with the family.

One Saturday, Louise decided to visit the town on her afternoon off. She had heard the maids speak highly of a small bakery that sold the most delightful pastries and breads, and she longed to taste their wares. As she made her way through the winding country roads, the scent of freshly baked goods filled the air, teasing her senses.

As she browsed the shops and nodded politely to the villagers, she noticed a pair of finely dressed ladies whispering and casting disdainful looks her way. Louise brushed it off and continued on her way, being used to such treatment as a Black servant.

However, when she stopped to examine some ribbons at a notions stall, the ladies approached her. "What do you think you're doing?" one demanded rudely.

Louise raised an eyebrow, unperturbed by the woman's tone. "I am merely browsing for ribbons, madam," she replied coolly.

"We do not appreciate your kind...staining our fine town with your presence," the other lady sneered.

"I apologize if my presence offends you," Louise replied, her tone cool and composed. "I am but a servant in Lord Warrington's household and mean no harm to this town or its citizens." Her voice was monotone, devoid of any emotion.

"How can you work for Mr Warrington? One of the richest men in our town, and you don't even have the decency to keep your mouth shut? It's disgraceful!" the first lady spat. "You should be grateful for what you have and stay in your place."

"Madam, I have not said anything out of turn, and I assure you I mean no disrespect to Lord Warrington or his household. I merely wished to purchase some ribbons for my duties." Louise paused, tilting her head slightly as if considering the women's words. "Perhaps it would be best if we parted ways here, as it seems we will not see eye to eye on this matter."

With as much dignity as she could summon, Louise turned away from the women and left the town square. The air seemed to grow colder as she walked, the bustling marketplace fading into the distance. Her mind replayed the encounter over and over, the sting of their words growing more painful with each repetition.

As Louise arrived back at the Warrington manor, she found herself even more on edge than before. As she closed the door, in walked Mr Davenport.

"Miss Louise," Mr. Davenport began, his voice heavy with concern. "I trust you are well. You seem...distracted." The butler's eyes roamed over her face, searching for any hint of what might be troubling her.

"I am fine...in good health, at least," Louise replied, her voice sounding distant even to her own ears. She forced herself to meet the butler's gaze. "I apologize if I seemed...out of sorts earlier. There was...an unpleasant encounter in town."

"Ah, I see," Mr. Davenport said, his expression neutral. "Well, if you ever wish to clear your head, there is a field nearby where you can find respite. It is said that the owner, an elderly man by the name of Jenkins, allows visitors to walk amongst the fields. The scent alone is said to be most calming."

"Thank you, Mr. Davenport," Louise said, her voice soft and even. "I shall take you up on your offer."

"You are most welcome, Miss Louise," Mr. Davenport replied, his voice warm and reassuring. Then the bell rang, "I must leave, it seems that Madame Warrington requires my presence. If you need anything else, please do not hesitate to ask." With that, the butler took his leave, leaving Louise to gather her thoughts and compose herself.

When he left, Louise swiftly ascended the stairs to her room, grabbing a trench coat and securing her curly hair into a bun. Desiring a breath of fresh air, she hurriedly descended the stairs, leaving the manor behind.