Chapter 7

Louise carefully sealed the envelope containing her letter to Amina, making sure not to wrinkle the delicate parchment. She expressed how much she missed her and how Mary's friendship had become a bright spot in her life. As she set the letter aside, a gentle knock echoed through the room.

Louise stood up from her desk and made her way to the door. Mary stood outside, a hopeful smile on her face. "Have you finished?" she asked, her voice tinged with excitement.

"Yes, but we do not have to go into town today to deliver it!" Louise replied, a hint of reluctance in her voice. She glanced back at her desk, where the letter to Amina still laid.

"I know, but I want to go into town, please," Mary pleaded, her expression earnest. She reached out and took Louise's hand in hers, giving it a squeeze. "Think of it as our little adventure. We could buy some new ribbons for your hair or maybe some sugar biscuits from the bakery. Please, Lou? Just this once?"

"Okay, okay!" Louise laughed, relenting to Mary's persistent pleading. She smiled warmly at her friend, squeezing her hand back. "But just for today. We can go on our little adventure and then we'll come right back, all right?"

Louise hurried back into her room to retrieve the letter for Amina, carefully holding it. Mary waited outside the door, humming a cheerful tune as she adjusted her bonnet. Closing the door behind them, the two friends walked arm-in-arm towards the town square, their steps light and their hearts full of anticipation.

As they walked, Mary hesitated for a moment before gathering the courage to share her own thoughts on love. "You know, Lou, I've been thinking...maybe I'd like to find love someday too. Not necessarily as a governess, but just...someone to share my life with. Someone who appreciates my silly jokes and loves me for who I am." She looked at Louise expectantly, hoping for encouragement.

Louise smiled gently; her heart filled with warmth. "I think that's a wonderful dream, Mary. You deserve to find someone who sees all the wonderful things about you and cherishes them!"

"So..Louise, can I tell you something?" Mary asked, her cheeks flushing slightly.

"Of course, what is it?" Louise replied, genuinely curious.

Mary took a deep breath. "There's a man... I like." She whispered.

Louise couldn't contain her surprise. "What!" she exclaimed, drawing the attention of a passing couple.

"Louise!" Mary hushed her friend, glancing around nervously. "I apologize, but who? Do I know him?" Louise's curiosity was now piqued. She couldn't help but feel a flutter in her chest as she waited for Mary to continue.

"He's a paper boy," Mary admitted "His name is Thomas, and he's always so polite and kind to me. I know it's silly, but I can't help but feel a little bit...happy whenever I see him." She blushed, looking down at her feet.

"A paper boy?" Louise stopped in her tracks, giving Mary a closer look.

"Is there something wrong with that?" Mary questioned; her voice laced with defensiveness.

"Of course not, Mary, but will he have enough to marry you or take care of you?" Louise asked gently, genuinely concerned for her friend's future. She knew how society often looked down on women in their position.

"Marriage?" Mary's eyes widened in surprise. "He hasn't even made his intentions known to me," she said, laughing nervously. "I suppose I was just...daydreaming."

Louise put a reassuring hand on her shoulder. "It's natural to have such thoughts, Mary. And who knows? Perhaps he feels the same way about you." She smiled encouragingly. "In the meantime, let us enjoy our day in town and focus on finding some sugar biscuits, shall we?"