Chapter 30

Days passed and Louise was in her room, staring out the window, her heart heavy with despair. The events of the day played out in her mind like a terrible nightmare she couldn't escape. Lord Warrington's words echoed in her ears, leaving her feeling dirty and used. She knew he was right, that Sebastian belonged with someone of his own class and stature, but it didn't make the pain any less.

Then there was a loud knock on her door. Louise rushed to open the door, hoping it was Sebastian. Instead, it was Katherine, looking distressed. "Louise, you must come quickly," she said, breathlessly "Lady Marianne has called an urgent meeting in the parlour. Everyone is required to attend."

Louise felt her stomach drop as her eyes widened in alarm. Something must have happened for Lady Marianne to call for an urgent meeting. "A meeting? Did she say what it's about?" she asked, trying to keep her voice steady.

Katherine shook her head. "No, she only said it was of the utmost importance. You'd better come quickly." She grabbed Louise by the hand and led her through the hallways, their footsteps echoing on the polished wooden floor. The air seemed to grow heavier with tension as they drew closer to the parlour.

Inside, the parlour they found Lord Warrington, Lady Cordelia, Sebastian, and Lady Marianne, all sitting in sombre silence. The room was lit by the soft glow of candles, casting an eerie light over their worried faces. All eyes turned to Louise and Katherine as they entered. There was an unspoken understanding among them that whatever it was, it was dire.

Before anyone could speak, Lady Cordelia inquired, her tone tinged with annoyance, "Lady Marianne, would you care to explain why you have summoned us here so abruptly?"

Lady Marianne pressed her lips together, remaining silent. The tension in the room grew as everyone waited with bated breath for her to speak. Eventually Lady Marianne stood up and declared "I have been deeply insulted and attacked in this household, and I demand justice!" she paused, her eyes flaring with anger.

Lord Warrington surprised asked "Insulted? By whom?"

Lady Marianne lifted her arm slowly and eventually pointing a finger at Louise "By her! That deceitful governess has wronged me greatly!" she exclaimed; her face contorted with anger. Everyone stared at Louise in shock. Louise froze, feeling a lump forming in her throat. She could hardly believe what she was hearing.

Sebastian rushed to Louise's side. "How dare you accuse her with no proof! Louise is the most honourable woman I know," he defended her, his voice shaking with anger. In response, Lady Marianne walked forwards towards Sebastian, her hands clenched into fists at her sides.

Upon reaching Sebastian, she slapped Sebastian hard across the face. The sound echoed through the parlour, ringing in everyone's ears.

"Lady Marianne!" Lady Cordelia gasped, shocked by the display of violence. "What is the meaning of this?"

Ignoring Lady Cordelia, Lady Marianne spoke to Sebastian, "Do not speak to me that way! You defend her only to hide your own shame and guilt!" She turned to face the others again "Let me enlighten you all." she yelled, her voice filling the room. "This governess has seduced, Mr Warrington into an illicit affair behind my back!"

Louise's eyes widened in shock. Lord Warrington shot to his feet. "What! Is this true?" he thundered. His face flushed with anger.

Sebastian took a deep breath and confidently declared, "Yes Father, it is true. I confess that my heart belongs to Louise, not Lady Marianne." Lady Marianne gasped in disbelief, her face contorting with rage. Lord Warrington's expression turned grave as he took a step back, clearly shocked by his son's admission.

Katherine and Lady Cordelia exchanged glances, a small smile playing at the corners of their lips. They had known all along of the affection that had grown between Louise and Sebastian, and they were not in the least surprised by his confession. In fact, they had encouraged it, seeing as how the young couple seemed to genuinely care for each other.

Lady Marianne let out an ear-piercing shriek, her hands flying to her face in disbelief. "It is not fair! He is promised to me!" She stamped her foot furiously as she shouted at Katherine and Lady Cordelia, who remained calm and unmoved.

Lord Warrington trembled with fury, his face contorting into a snarl. "This is an outrage! I will not have it in my house!" he shouted, pointing a shaking finger at Louise. "You, governess, will be dismissed this instant. Gather your things and go, immediately!" His voice echoed through the parlour, chilling everyone to the bone.

Lady Cordelia jumped up from her seat "I will not allow that! This is a young woman of honour and virtue. You cannot simply cast her out like this!" She glared at Lord Warrington, her eyes flashing with anger.

"No! I want Louise to stay! Father, do something!" She turned desperately to Sebastian, who nodded in agreement.

Sebastian also spoke firmly. "Father, Louise has done nothing wrong. If you must blame someone, blame me. But she will not be sent away."

"You dare defy me under my own roof?" Lord Warrington's face turned a deep shade of red, his fists clenched tightly at his sides. "This is my decision, and it is final!" he shouted, his voice echoing through the room. "You are all behaving like a pack of wild animals! I will not have this disgrace in my house!" He turned his back on them, unable to look at the expressions of pain and shock on their faces.

"Father, she shall not leave, and I will also reopen the investigation into the slave ship incident. Justice must be served." Sebastian stepped forwards and looked his father in the eye.

"You foolish child! Do you have any idea what this would do to our reputation?" Lord Warrington shouted, spinning around to face his son. "The disgrace would be unbearable! People will talk for years about the scandal that has befallen us!"

As Lord Warrington kept on shouting at Sebastian, Lady Marianne however flew into a shrieking tantrum. "You wretched girl!" she screamed, grabbing Louise by the hair. "You think you can steal him from me? I will ruin you!" She pulled Louise's hair, making her wince in pain.

Louise cried out in pain and fear as Lady Marianne struck her repeatedly. She tried to break free, but Lady Marianne held her fast, her nails digging into her flesh. With a massive shove, Lady Marianne sent Louise crashing into the piano. Her head struck the edge of the instrument with a sickening thud, and she crumpled to the floor, unconscious.

"Louise!" Sebastian cried out in horror as he rushed to her side. He tried to lift her up, his hands trembling with fear. "Father, please, we must help her!" He looked up at Lord Warrington, his eyes pleading for understanding. But his father's face was impassive, his expression unreadable.

Katherine and Lady Cordelia rushed to the side of the fallen governess, pushing Lady Marianne away as she continued to scream and flail her arms. Lord Warrington remained silent; his expression unreadable as he watched the scene unfold before him. Sebastian knelt beside Louise, cradling her head in his lap as he tried to stem the flow of blood from a gash above her eye.

"Mr. Davenport, fetch the doctor immediately!" Lady Cordelia called out urgently. The butler, who had heard the commotion, rushed off. Sebastian cradled the unconscious Louise as he rocked her gently, his eyes filled with worry. Lady Cordelia and Katherine knelt beside them, their hands hovering over her, unsure of what to do.

Lady Cordelia turned to Lady Marianne. "You vile creature! How could you?" she spat.

"Monster!" Katherine shouted through angry tears.

Lady Marianne seemed to regain some of her senses. She backed away slowly, seeing the devastation she had caused. "I... I didn't mean to...she left me no choice..." she stammered uncertainly.

"Lady Marianne is not at fault!" exclaimed Lord Warrington, finally finding his voice. "This entire situation is the fault of that girl! If she hadn't been so reckless and meddled in matters that did not concern her, none of this would have happened!" He turned to his son, his expression cold and unyielding. "I will not have her under this roof any longer, Sebastian. You must see the error of your ways and send her packing."

Lord Warrington grabbed Lady Marianne's arm and they both walked out of the parlour leaving Sebastian, Katherine, and Lady Cordelia with Louise.