Chapter 12

Louise walked through the manor's garden, hoping to find a quiet spot where she could gather her thoughts. As Louise walked, she spotted Lady Helena approaching.

"Miss Louise, may I have a word?" Lady Helena asked. Louise bowed her head respectfully. "Of course, my lady. How may I be of assistance?"

Lady Helena seemed to hesitate for a moment, then she said, "I wanted to apologize for my niece Katherine's rude behaviour earlier. She has had difficulties with governesses in the past," Lady Helena explained. "Please give her time, I know she will warm up to you."

Louise nodded, her expression stoic. "I understand, my lady. I have experience dealing with challenging students in the past. I am confident that Katherine and I will find common ground."

Lady Helena smiled before she continued, "My husband and I are moving abroad soon. Before, I was the one tutoring Katherine, but now we desperately need your help to teach her."

Louise replied, "Do not worry, I assure you I will teach and care for Katherine." Lady Helena thanked her sincerely. Then she whispered into Louise's ear, "Walk further into the gardens, that is where you will find Katherine now." Louise thanked her as Lady Helena walked away.

Louise continued walking onwards, then she spotted Katherine in the distance, sitting on a stone bench beneath a large oak tree. The girl had a book open in her lap, but she wasn't paying attention to it. Instead, she was staring off into the distance, her expression a mix of anger and frustration.

Louise slowly approached the girl, her footsteps barely making a sound on the soft grass. As she drew nearer, she studied Katherine's profile, trying to discern some hint of the emotions raging beneath the surface. The girl's posture was rigid, her shoulders tense, and there was a tautness in her jaw that betrayed her inner anger.

"Good afternoon, Miss Katherine," she said. "It's a lovely day for reading outdoors, isn't it?" She paused, waiting for a reaction. Katherine didn't acknowledge her presence at first, but after a few moments, she finally turned her head to glance at Louise.

"I suppose so," she replied noncommittally, her voice matching Louise's own monotone. She gestured to the book in her lap.

"I understand your reluctance to accept a new governess," Louise said, her tone gentle but firm. "Change can be difficult, and it's only natural to feel apprehensive about it. But I hope in time you will come to see me not just as an instructor, but as a friend."

"Hmph," Katherine huffed, standing up from the bench. "Grandmama may force me to accept you, but that doesn't mean I have to like you." She folded her arms across her chest, her expression defiant. "And I certainly don't see why I should."

Louise smiled for the first time since she arrived at the manor. "That is fair. I only ask that you give me a chance before passing judgement."

Katherine considered this for a moment before sighing. "Very well, I will permit you to be my governess if I must. But do not expect us to become friends." Her tone was still cold, but there was a hint of reluctant acceptance beneath the surface.

"Thank you, that is all I ask," Louise replied. "I look forward to getting to know you better, Miss Katherine."

Katherine gave a curt nod, then turned and walked back toward the manor. Louise watched her depart, a small smile playing at the corners of her lips. As the girl disappeared around the corner, Louise took a deep breath and let it out slowly. She knew that earning Katherine's trust would not be an easy task, but she was determined to try.

It was the first day of Katherine's lessons with Louise. Louise entered Katherine's study; her expression neutral as she took in the girl's posture. Katherine sat at her desk, her back straight, her hands folded neatly in front of her. She glanced up at Louise as she closed the door behind her but did not speak.