Chapter 9

Bela: Nova.

Nova jumped and quickly turned to face Bela. The tall, blonde vampire stood up and walked towards Nova, who backed up.

Bela: Stop backing away. You know I won't hurt you.

Nova's back hit the wall. Her tail was between her legs and her ears were pressed down. Her breathing was fast but quiet, her heart pounding. Bela pinned Nova to the wall, leaning down. Her expression was unreadable as her golden eyes looked down at Nova.

Bela used her index finger to tilt Nova's head up. She leaned down and kissed Nova's forehead, making the small fox girl's eyes widen and a blush form on her face.

Bela: I missed you, sweetheart.

Bela's voice got softer and quieter. She was being honest. Nova's breathing eventually calmed down, her ears lifting up.

Bela: I was scared when I saw your collar on the floor.

Bela gently stroked Nova's cheek with her left index finger, gazing down at her softly.

Bela: I saw what mother did to you and I got scared. I thought you were dead.

Bela's voice cracked, getting lighter. Nova had never seen any of the daughters cry before and was surprised to see a tear roll down Bela's cheek. She instinctively reached out to wipe it away. She let her hand stay on Bela's cheek and Bela leaned into her touch.

Bela: You have no idea how much I missed you. How much you scared me. How angry I was at Cassandra when I found out she hurt you.

Bela leaned closer to Nova, her eyes closing. She let her hands travel down to Nova's waist, pulling the small girl close to her. Nova leaned into her body, her arms going around the taller vampire's torso.

Bela: I'm so glad you're back, little fox.

Bela picked Nova up and carried her over to her bed, laying on her back with Nova on top of her. Nova snuggled into Bela, finding her surprisingly warm for someone so cold. Bela held Nova close, not wanting to let go of her. She didn't want to risk losing Nova again. Nova's tail was laying between her legs, her ears relaxed. She felt safe in Bela's arms.

Bela: My little fox.

Bela spoke softly in Nova's ear, stroking her hair with her left hand and rubbing her ear with her right hand. Nova nuzzled into Bela's neck. Bela smelled the air then smelled Ethan's scent.

Bela: Little fox, what's that smell?

Nova lifted her head, her right brow raised.

Bela: You smell like that man-thing.

Bela just now noticed that Nova was wearing Ethan's jacket. A flash of something in her eyes got Nova nervous. Bela kept calm but glared at the jacket.

Bela: Take it off.

Bela's tone was stern and had a hint of jealousy in it. Nova sat up and took Ethan's jacket off, setting it on the floor. The hoodie Karl gave her had his scent on it but her scent was overpowering his. The hoodie was still damp and so were the sweatpants.

Bela: Good. Now, lay back down.

Nova laid back on top of Bela, snuggling into her for warmth. Bela kissed the top of Nova's head then her forehead.

 Bela: I'll let you rest for a while. My sisters need to calm down. I won't let them hurt you.

Nova nodded and nuzzled into Bela's neck again. Bela smiled softly at Nova, stroking her hair. She needed to keep Nova safe as long as she could until her sisters and mother calmed down. Nova soon fell asleep on top of Bela, her breathing soft and even against Bela's neck.

After about an hour, Nova shifted. She accidentally opened her stomach wound again and woke up because of the pain that shot through her body. Bela was still awake and looked at Nova as she sat up. She noticed the growing patch of blood on Nova's stomach. When she smelt it, her breath hitched and her pupils turned to slits. Nova noticed and knew exactly what that meant. 

Bela: Nova... Stay still.

Nova got off Bela and her bed, backing away to the door. She unlocked it, shifted to her fox form, and ran down the hall.

Bela: Nova!

Nova heard Bela swarm after her. Nova ran faster. She took a turn, went too fast, and slid into a wall. She hit her back on the wall, making her shift back to her human form. She took a few seconds to get back up with how hard she hit her back. Bela appeared, sickle in hand. She had a primal look in her eyes.

Bela: Oh, Nova, my little fox, my good little fox. Stay still for me, okay?

Bela approached Nova, a sadistic and primal look in her eyes. Nova backed away, still on the floor. Her ears were flat against her head. She pressed a hand to her stomach to try and stop the bleeding.

Bela: I can see why Cassandra is always after you. You smell absolutely delicious.

Nova backed herself into a corner. She heard buzzing and her heart dropped. She knew she was in a very, very dangerous situation and had no way out.

Bela: Oh, look at that. 

Cassandra: I told you I'd catch you in the end.

Cassandra and Daniela appeared next to Bela, their sickles in hand. They both had a sadistic look in their golden eyes. Nova had nowhere to run and she couldn't rely on her fox form to get her out this time. Cassandra approached Nova, holding her sickle like she was about to strike. Nova closed her eyes, waiting for the hit.