Chapter 13

Rosemary: I have a question.

Nova looked at Rosemary, an eyebrow raised.

Rosemary: How did you get so damn hot? Like, it's unnatural how hot you are.

Nova almost smiled. Her ears flicked up and down, her tail swaying side to side. She never really thought of herself as "hot". She knew she was attractive but never bragged about it, or really acknowledged it.

Rosemary: Really. What's your secret? Is it a kitsune gift?

Nova shrugged. The two entered their math class, sitting in the back as usual. There were a few students already there, talking and waiting for the bell to ring and class to start.

Rosemary: If we didn't live together and basically be sisters, I'd have already claimed you as my girlfriend.

Nova's ears perked up, her tail not knowing whether to wag or flick. She blushed a small bit but quickly hid it. Rosemary still noticed and laughed softly.

Rosemary: Wow. What a lesbian.

Nova's tail flicked and her ears went down. She looked away. She was pouting.

Rosemary: Aw, don't pout. I didn't mean it. You know I love you like a sister. Nothing more.

Nova looked over at Rosemary, her eyes narrowing. Her ears lifted and she leaned back in her seat, crossing her arms, her tail swishing side to side.

The class was an hour and four minutes long but it felt like forever since Mr. Sanderson was being boring. Rosemary was doodling in her notebook, Nova was staring off into the distance at her desk, absentmindedly playing with the fur on the end of her tail, and half the students were either asleep, having whisper conversations, on their phones under their desks, or zoned out while the other half was paying attention, taking notes, and raising their hands to answer questions.

Sanderson: Nova, what's the answer to question four?

Nova immediately came back to reality, her ears perked up, her hands stopping their movement. Rosemary also focused back on class. No one looked back, knowing not to make Nova the center of attention.

Rosemary: Uhm-

Sanderson: No. I want Nova to answer.

Nova panicked. She looked over at Rosemary, panic in her crimson eyes. One of the other girls in the class spoke up. She was known as the school's wildcard, the girl everyone was scared of, the one who didn't care about anyone. Nova knew her name was Vega.

Vega: Why're you calling on the quiet girl?

Vega's voice was deep but feminine, smooth, soothing, had a slight Mexican accent, and a voice that caught attention. Mr. Sanderson struggled with words. There was no reason for him to call on Nova and force her to answer.

Vega: Leave the poor fox alone.

A few of the other students smirked. Rosemary had a small smirk on her face. Nova just looked down, covering her face, her ears flat, her tail down, her face red.

Vega: The answer's 12 by the way.

A few students laughed and chuckled. Mr. Sanderson sighed quietly and continued teaching the class.

After class, Nova was putting her things back in her bag, Rosemary waiting next to her.

Rosemary: I swear, anyone would stick up for you.

Nova's tail flicked and her ears twitched. She zipped her backpack up and put it on her back. She glanced over at the door and saw Vega waiting, leaning against the doorframe, a sucker in her mouth, her phone in her hand. Rosemary also looked over.

Rosemary: Oh. I wonder who she's waiting for.

Nova shrugged and walked towards the door, Rosemary following her. She was about to leave but Vega grabbed her arm. Her grip was gentle but firm.

Vega: Hey, I wanna talk to you.

Nova's ears were flat but twitched up, her tail down. She looked over at Rosemary then back at Vega.

Vega: I know you don't talk but I know your friend here can understand you.

Rosemary: I can. It takes a while to understand what her ears twitching means but, yeah.

Vega: Cool.

Vega let Nova's arm go and leaned off the doorframe. Nova looked back over at Rosemary and noticed her blushing. Nova looked back at Vega, noticing how tall she was. Vega had light brown skin, dark eyes, black hair that was in a medium cut with curtain bangs that were bleached white. She was 5 foot 8 inches tall, slim but fit and wore a black crop top under an unzipped black jacket with the sleeves rolled up, black ripped jeans, and black, knee-high combat boots. She had matte black nails that were manicured. She was the goth lesbian dream.

Vega: I'm gonna hangout with you guys.

Rosemary: Y-Yeah. Sure.

Nova knew Rosemary had a crush on Vega, she never shut up about it. Nova walked between the two, her tail swaying behind her, her ears perked up.

Vega: So, what's with the forehead mark?

Rosemary: I don't know. She's had as long as I can remember. I asked my dad about it but he didn't really explain it.

Vega: Hm. It's cool. It's pretty hard for people to pull off forehead tattoos without looking like a criminal.

Rosemary: That's true. She has the face for it.

Nova wasn't really paying attention. She was thinking back to the castle. Bela, Cassandra, and Daniela all had the same forehead tattoo and all three of them pulled them off. Bela even let Nova color hers in one time. As much as she wanted to go back, she probably wouldn't make it back alive, or at least in one piece. She missed Romania, she missed Bela, she missed... home. It was the only place she ever thought of as home. As nice as it is living with the Winters family, it wasn't home.