▷ 15.4

Page's grip on the shone-stick tightened as she watched Erne disable the final lock on the container

Page's grip on the shone-stick tightened as she watched Erne disable the final lock on the container. She mentally urged him to hurry, to open the blast doors wide open so they could load all the magus ores into the bottomless bag Dara carried. It was that type of day, where they got into the facility without any problems. Let her hope it would be the same when they got out. Their locksmith, Erne, twisted his tools around, the Laic-made lock giving way to the normal tools unenhanced by mystic arts. After centuries of struggle, it was only now did they think of going back to simple tools before the discovery of mana, and it worked to their favor.

The first round of grails popped free without the lock holding it in place. Their other comrades, Lila and Fianhe, gripped the metal frames and set them aside gently. Dara dug the bag from her belt and held it open. Erne picked the second set of locks, tongue poking out of his pursed lips in concentration. Page's job was to man the door, to listen for any active movements beyond the airlock, and to be ready to shoot any hostiles at first sight.

A torrent of rocks raining down in an avalanche tore Page's attention from the door to the heist happening. Erne moved to the next container while Dara and the others shoveled the ores into the bag as fast as they could. Sweat gathered at the base of Page's neck, soaking the rigid guard the collar of her mission suit made. How much longer? The more time they spend here, the higher probability of them being found out. She glanced at the door. No movement on any of the screens Page commissioned from the existing spy network around the facility. Laics carried on their jobs fluidly, unaware of the theft happening next door.

Erne grunted and let the grails fall away. Without Lila and Fianhe, the metal slammed to the pristine vinyl floors with a loud bang. Page's muscles seized. Everyone froze, looking to her for any status report. Her eyes flicked to the screens. No movement. "Continue." She nodded the same notion to her team.

After the two-week exile, she made it to the application deadline for this mission and was even promoted to being the mission lead. A huge responsibility, but Page has to prove herself to the Premier if she wanted to take on more serious roles in the future. The planning and strategy department really spoke to her, so she would aim for that and more. With the mission being already half-done, the dream didn't seem so far-away anymore.

A few more minutes later, the bottomless bag had a bottom after all. The last magus ore barely disappeared into its dark depths, but Erne patted the side until it did. Page released the breath she had been holding and removed all traces of their entry into the Laic security system through a series of buttons the tech department briefed her about. Then, she turned to her team.

"Whatever happens, hold on to that bag," she ordered. "I'll protect you from the rear. Erne, take the front. Dara, if anything happens, give the bag to me or to Fianhe. If any of you get hold of it, run for the Domain. Do not stop until you're past the borders."

Page shrugged. "That is only when we get spotted or caught," she said. " Do not worry about me if it comes to a grind. I'll always make it back home until I can't."