Ch. 9 - The School Of Magic

I bid James, Jenny, Mrs Weasley, Mr Weasley, Ron, Percy, Fred, George, Ginny and all the others goodbye as I slipped into the presumably magic, black, shining taxi. It had arrived early in the morning, before anybody had woken up, yet I had been watching out for my transport to come.

"I'll see you soon." I managed a small smile, before waving out the window and being whisked off to my final destination.

*

Stone.

That one word could describe Hogwarts in many ways that others could not.

It was a magnificent, stone structured castle with pointed tile rooves and an aura of wonder. The small boat that I was one came to a graceful stop, and I stepped out onto a flat surfaced dock. A woman, with a crooked nose, old frame, a pair of rounded glasses and green robes came to meet me at the staircase that lead to the great doors in a courtyard quite a way up. Along with the night sky, it was truly magical - pun intended.

"Greetings, you must be Shadow Claw, correct?" The woman asked, her voice was stern but carried a certain air of gentleness. I nodded, "Correct." I said, my face emotionless as I was escorted up the carved steps and into the greying courtyard. "I am Professor McGonnagall, head of Gryffindor. Since you will only be the half-student, I will sort you into your house and you can explore the castle." The professor muttered, ushering me into a set of gigantic doors and into a long hallway, lined with stained glass windows and stone benches. In the middle, stood a set of golden doors, smaller than the last set but by far more beautiful.

"This is the Great Hall, where you will eat and occasionally do exams such as O.W.L.S." Professor McGonnagall explained, then gave a thin-lipped smile and walked off down the walkway of the Great Hall, meeting with what I believed to be the other teachers. "Oh, and Shadow?" She glanced at me. I looked up, "Yes, professor?" I asked curiously. "Since you are only going to be a half-student, you will be sorted now. It will save time. Put on the hat when you're ready." She explained then continued walking onwards.

The ceiling was lit with floating candles, and they were suspended below a beautiful night sky, much like the one outside. I walked towards a small stool at a podium at the end of the tables, in the middle of them all. On it, sat an ancient, ragged and patched hat that seemed to be watching me intently.

I narrowed my eyes, striding towards it. I ignored the looks I got from a few of the teachers, and came face to face with the hat. "I'll soon know much about you, Shadow Claw. Not that I haven't heard the rumours." The hat spoke. I sighed, "I know much about Hogwarts. I spent twelve years in a-"

"-An attic, yes. So I've heard." It mused. The room was then silent.

I lifted the hat, and sat down, placing on it on top of my head. It hummed lightly, "Yes, yes. Interesting life style choice. Menacing, yet protective. Cunning, high potential for intelligence... I think.. SLYTHERIN!" It cried after a long debate on my characteristics.

I removed the Sorting Hat and made my way towards the end of the wooden bench. I felt lonely, sitting alone with only the occasional ghost drifting by.

A sparking flash flew through the room, and the tables were suddenly filled to the brim with brilliant food. My stomach churned uneasily, my appetite dissolving. I shifted, before bounding into the hallways to explore the castle in every way.

"Oooh, a newbie first yearie!" A highly irritating voice chirped beside me. I hissed at the strange creature floating next to me. It was a poltergeist! "Peeves, at your command my fairie kitty." He grinned cheekily, and I snapped my jaws at him, already annoyed.

"Peeves! Get out of here!" A stern looking ghost drifted into view as I turned a corner. The poltergeist whined quietly, but zoomed off somewhere else in the castle. The ghost in front of me gave me a one-over glance then mused for a small while, "Bloody Baron, ghost of Slytherin." He said.

"Shadow Claw, new student of Hogwarts and last Shadow Claw in existence." I muttered grimly, before padding away, following a scent of old books. Where there were books, there was knowledge. The Bloody Baron paid me no mind and disappeared into a wall as I reached the library. It was ancient, but like all of the castle, beautiful too.

Finally, I could be alone. I scaled one of the book shelves, curling up with a small purr. The air was cool in there, soothing my nerves. I closed my eyes and drifted into the gentle confines of sleep, already missing my two best friends in the whole, wide, cruel world.