Ch. 26 - Kids?!

I watched the little kittens emerge from their mother's nest for the first time and I gazed down at them, expressionless. Shade was sat beside me, chuckling as the kits tumbled over each other with high pitched squeaks.

At last, I decided enough was enough. I huffed gruffly and turned on my heels, padding away with my ears flicking in case of any danger. Damn! Those mother instincts were kicking in - they weren't even my kits! Shade had encouraged me to see the newest kits in the pack. We had already talked about future, and maybe had a little -... okay so it was big - argument on having kits and a happy family.

I sighed, laying down beside the glittering lake that occupied almost a third of the packs territory, remembering the argument.

"Shade..." I whispered, getting his attention successfully, "I... don't want kids." I could already see the hurt and disappointment in his eyes but it passed by, morphing into a thick haze of anger. I lowered my ears, my body slumped tiredly on the floor. Hunting had taken a big toll on my body that day.

"What do you mean?! We are the Alphas now! Our responsibility-" He began, but I could see where he was going with it. I snarled, getting pissed off with his sexist attitude, "Mating and having kids is not a responsibility - it is something that just happens! Get this around your thick head, Shade - I. Will. Not. Have. Kits." I hissed with so much venom that he actually flinched. I almost felt bad. Almost.

He stalked towards me and placed his front paws on my side, pinning me down with his sheer strength and weight. "Why don't you get this around your pretty little head, Shadow - you will bear my kits and they will grow to be strong Alphas. You will submit to me and me alone." He commanded with a voice like steel.

I had no choice but to obey the orders of an Alpha. "Yes, Shade." I whispered, grateful when he took his paws off me and curled around me instead. He licked my cheek, "I don't like fighting with you, Shadow. Please, just... come and see the newborn kits tomorrow. It might change your mind?" He asked softly, purring when I pressed my head to his chest. "If it makes you feel better, okay. But I don't think it'll help." I mumbled.

"We'll see. Sleep now, mea umbra." He cooed gently, lulling me into a sleep like death - cold and empty.

I shook my head, lapping at the water that rippled at my touch. Kids? Now? Next year? I didn't know what to expect, but those kittens had not changed my mind. I still didn't want them - whether I was obeying the Alpha or not.

I heard pawsteps, and the scent immediately alerted me to my mate. I shuffled my wings in anticipation of what was to come.

"I haven't changed my mind, you know." I said, peering out along the lake and spotting a doe sleeping in the bracken. I'd hunt later, when this 'talk' was over. I knew what was coming.

"Shadow, why are you so adamant that we don't have kits?" He stayed his ground, but his voice was gentle with a hint of curiosity.

I sighed, hanging my head. The truth was best in that situation, so I told him. "I'm scared, Shade. What if I have a girl and you want a boy? What if I have a miscarriage? What if I die during the birth? What if I can't get pregnant?" I turned to face him with desperate eyes, gazing into his understanding ones. "I could live with myself if I made you angry once in a while, but to disappoint you? No. I couldn't do that to you, Shade. To me, disappointment is worse than any other negative emotion."

Tears were pooling in my eyes, and he saw. He padded towards me silently, bringing me under his chin, settled between his front paws. "I would never be disappointed in you, Shadow. You are my love and I don't care about the 'what ifs'. You worry too much - stop thinking of me and start looking out for yourself. You can't help me if you can't take care of yourself first." He murmured, licking my head and rubbing his cheek along mine.

"Are you sure?" I peeked up at him, lowering my ears and licking his cheek lovingly. He hummed softly, "If you're so worried about it, we can wait until you get back next year or the year after. We have time-"

Before he could say anything more, I pounced on him and nuzzled his neck, purring loudly and affectionately. "I love you, Shade. More than anything in the whole wide world." I peppered his chest and face with licks and nudges. He laughed, sitting up and curling around me once more. "As do I, mea umbra. As do I."

RIGHT GUYS!!! THAT IS THE END OF BOOK 1.

BOOK 2 WILL BE FOR THE NEXT HP BOOK: THE PRISONER OF AZKABAN. THIS IS TO AVOID THEM GETTING TOO LONG.

I SHALL START WRITING IT SOON, BUT FOR NOW, ENJOY THE ENDING TO THE FIRST BOOK.

THANK YOU AND GOODNIGHT.

~SHADED