Ch. 17 - Suspicion

I slumped to the floor of the Slytherin common room, my paws crossed and my head resting on them. It had been a long few months already - how was I going to manage? Along with Shade and-

Jenny cut me out my thoughts, "Tell us everything." She said very sternly, obviously noticing the scars on my wings. She moved over to my side to study the indents, tracing them gently with a few fingers. "Don't worry about me Jenny, I'll be fine." I assured her, "It was just a bit of a... uh, misunderstanding." I lied smoothly - well, at least I thought I did.

Suspicion arose in Jenny's eyes but James cut in before either of us could say anything. "Did you meet any booooooys?" He drawled out, laying down with his head on my paws. I lifted my head and peered down at him, a small smile on my weary jaws.

"In fact, I did." I uttered, a light of love making its way into my eyes. Jenny hugged my neck, "Oh Shadow! I'm so happy for you!" She cried, ignoring the few Slytherin's that looked our way. I growled dangerously, raising my wings slightly. James whined, clinging to my soft front paws like they were pillows.

"Shadow." Jenny warned me. I huffed, flicking her with my tail. "We still have a couple of free hours - I'm going to read up on some history of mine." I muttered, watching a platinum haired boy stare at Jenny with curiosity in my eyes. "If anything happens, just call for me. James, come on." I glanced at both my friends. They nodded, oblivious to the Slytherin second year that just so happened to look like an arrogant prick. I gave him a small hiss then bounded out the common room with James on my back. I hated leaving Jenny alone but I had research to do and, besides, she could take care of herself.

*

"Alright students, time's up! Come back tomorrow morning after breakfast if you so wish." The librarian called out to us all in the library. I sighed, my mind swirling with new information, some of which, I had already worked out myself and did not want nor need to know. I slipped away the last book I had and shifted back, dipping my wings to slide James onto my back. Halfway through my research, he had just nodded off.

My eyes were set hard as I padded away from the library and towards the Slytherin common room. "Snake tongue." I said the password and the painting swung open. I held my posture as I entered, until I saw the platinum boy and Jenny throwing words at each other.

"... well you're just an arrogant pr-" She yelled with so much venom that, even I, almost flinched.

"JENNY!" I snapped, "This is no time for bickering. For the hatred of Light Claws!" I rushed towards her, laying James down on the ivy green sofa and padding up to Jenny. She hung her head - this wasn't like her at all. This boy must have really pushed her buttons.

Everybody was staring.

I snarled, "Go to bed, all of you! Except you..." One fourth year stepped forward but I shot him a look that was so dark, he whimpered and scampered off. Once everybody had gone, apart from the platinum boy, I narrowed my eyes at him. By this time, Jenny was silently sobbing beside me. "You better have a good reason for making Jenny cry. I don't take aggression towards my friends too easily." I hissed, stalking towards him.

His body was trembling slightly, "What's your name, boy?" I circled him slowly, like a cat playing with its prey - taunting it and prodding at it like some kind of torturer.

"Draco Malfoy." He said, his voice confident despite his stuttering figure. "Ah, of course, you're from the famous Malfoy family. Powerful and rich... also connected with Voldemort." I growled lowly, just loud enough for him to hear.

"You speak his name?" He hissed accusingly. I snarled loudly, making him stumble back, "If I ever catch you even looking at Jenny or James, I will make this matter personal, and I'll bring in my Claw pack to make sure every last Malfoy is wiped off this depressing planet. Am I clear?" I snapped, my furious words infused with poison and malignancy.

By now, Draco was trembling like a newborn kitten. "Very clear." He half-snapped, then walked off, his pace growing quicker and quicker as he looked over his shoulder.

Jenny let out a small wail, and I instantly turned into motherly mode. I zipped over to her side and lay down beside the crackling fire. She sidled up to me, and I purred gently. "Don't cry, Jenny. We're all together, are we not?" I licked her hand, and she peered up at me with bloodshot eyes, nodding smally.

I managed to get James curled up in my tail, and settle Jenny under my wings. "This is a new start for us. We have a fresh story to write." I murmured, flicking my ears and closing my eyes.

"Love you Shadow. Love you James." Jenny mumbled.

"Love you too, Jenny. And you, James." By the time I had replied, both of them were already fast asleep. I smiled and licked both their heads before resting my head on my paws and yawning widely.

The last thing I heard before I fell into the comfy clutches of sleep was a slow pace of footsteps, and then a gentle hand stroking my back.