Chapter Sixty five: A heavenly messenger

After I left Luke's I had one goal in mind, make amends with Ally. I can't believe how wrapped up in my emotions I get, maybe this is the consequence of repressing them for so long.

Ally is the only person that has ever shown me kindness without a goal in mind, and I was really ready to just throw all that away? God I'm an idiot.

I transport myself back to my room in the underworld to start devising my plan. How could I do it so that I can make it clear the meeting will be on her terms? I can't just turn up on her doorstep with Leo acting as the guarding hell hound.

But perhaps someone else could be my messenger...

I frantically start searching through my drawers for some holy beads that once belonged to my feathery friend. Why do I have so much random bits of rubbish in here? As I continue my search, my hands graze past a small leathery book. I pause my search for a moment in favour of the book. Picking it up, I realise what it is. It's a photo album.

I scan through the pages, photos of me as a child next to my father in many different locations, memories I once cherished. But it is the photo at the back that really catches me off guard. It's a photo of my mother holding me as a baby, my father at her side and Blake as a young boy at their feet. We were all smiling. It's strange how such a photo can evoke such a sad feeling from deep within. How I long for this type of family dynamic once more. I just want to feel loved like I am in this photo. What dark magic possessed my mother to abandon all of this? My father loved her dearly, he worshipped the very ground she walked on. He made her immortal to spend the rest of their lives together, and she just threw it all away? Some part of me doesn't believe it could have been that simple...

But now's not the time to dwell on what could've been, I need to focus on the here and now. Pushing the album aside, I finally lock my sight on a small, white silk pouch. Picking it up, the contents inside clink like a heavenly bell sound. These were the beads I had been searching for. I untie the silken ribbon at the top of the bag and tilt it so three opalescent beads slide into the palm of my hand.

Now how do I do this again? I start fumbling around with the beads, attempting different combinations of rolling and throwing and shaking until something clicks in my brain. I now know what I need to do.

I place the three beads in a triangle formation on the ground and I get onto my knees in a praying pose.

"Oh mighty Gabriel, please bless me with your presence in my time of need..."

The beads emit a heavenly light for a moment and the whole room it lit with the essence of the heavens. When the lights dim, I look up to meet the eyes of a confused angel.

"Raven? You haven't used those beads in a long time."

"Well, you don't seem to grasp the concept of a mobile phone so this was the next best thing." I say, dusting off my knees as I stand up.

"The fact that you're summoning me suggests you're desperate." Gabe says, raising an eyebrow at me.

"What, can't I just contact my old friend for a good old catch-up over some tea and biscuits?"

Gabriel stares at me long and hard for a couple of seconds.

"Yeah, I didn't think you would believe that."

"That's because I can see through lies Raven, you know the gift all angels possess?"

"Right. Anyway, you're correct. I've messed up."

"You haven't waged another war have you?"

"Is that what everyone thinks of me now?"

"I don't think you want me to answer that question."

"You're right, I don't. I just need you to play messenger for me."

"Raven, you do realise there is a literal god who's task is to be a courier?"

I sigh knowing all too well who he's referring to. But Hermes knows far too much about my personal life at the moment, part of me is afraid he may use my secrets against me. I have little trust in gods like him, but at the moment he holds my favour so I have faith he will keep everything locked away. At least, for now...

"I had a feeling Ally may appreciate a message from an angel rather than a god. And Leo may be more willing to let you in her presence."

"What exactly happened Raven?"

"I may have been a little too hasty, got caught up in my emotions. And threatened to kill her unborn child..."

"Raven Rouge Reaper, you didn't!"

Hearing the disappointment in his voice hits me like a knife to my heart. I value Gabriel's opinion very highly after all...

"I know, it was wrong and I'll forever repent for it. But please Gabe, I need your help now more than ever. Leo won't even look at me anymore, he won't give me the chance to apologise. But Ally might, if you could just pass on a message for me."

Gabriel ponders over my request, looking at me, almost looking through my soul. He's checking to see if I truly have good intentions, he's good at his job after all.

Finally after the few moments of silence, he speaks up.

"You know I could never say no to you. But listen to me Raven, I'll pass on your message under the condition that you fix all of this mess. Ally is valued very highly up in heaven and I don't want you to be on her bad side. She will definitely be of use to you in winning this war with as little casualties as possible. What would you like me to say?"

"Oh thank you Gabe! This means the absolute world to me! All I want you to do is ask Ally for a peace meeting, she can choose the time and place. It will all be under her conditions. She can bring whoever she likes and I will come alone. Please just reiterate to her that I truly am sorry. I just don't know what came over me..."

I feel a tear roll down my cheek as I think over my actions. I don't want to lose Ally as a friend. Like Gabe said, not only is she useful, she is also a vital person to have on my side. I need her far more than she needs me. And she knows that.

"It's alright Raven. You're going to fix things, and don't beat yourself up too much. You're new to the whole emotional wheel remember? I'm just glad you're finally embracing them."

Gabriel comes over and gives me a quick hug for comfort. I cling onto his warmth for as long as I can until he pulls away with a somber smile.

"I'll go deliver your message. If she has a reply, I assume you will either hear it from me or Leo. Part of me hopes it will be Leo so you can fix things with him too."

"Yes, that would be a good thing."

"Now I'll be off. Once you've sorted all of this mess, maybe we can have that catch-up over some tea and biscuits?"

I laugh. "I would love that Gabriel."

Gabe smiles that heavenly smile before saluting to me and vanishing in a flash of holy light.

I'm counting on you Gabe...