Chapter forty six: the condemmed

Slamming the doors behind me, I leave the underworld palace behind and begin to wander the plains for Maria. There's one problem that has been swelling inside me, what is Maria's unfinished business? What is she missing? Or more importantly, what if it's not Luke?

Pushing all these thoughts to the back of my mind, I pull out the book of souls once more. With the book in one hand, my scythe in the other I begin a locating spell.

"Guiding spirits I ask thee for thy guidance, lend me your charity and focus, offer your kind clarity to me. I beg thee spirits, lead me to the thing I cannot find, restore that and my peace of mind. Return the lost one I seek, though out of mind and control to find this lost person, show me a path dear spirits to the one I cannot find. To save Maria and restore my peace of mind" after chanting these words, a path becomes clear in my mind.

Without hesitation, I trust my mind to be my guide and follow it down hills and trenches, until we reach the edge of the underworld plains. Here I notice there is not a soul in sight. I scout every inch before me, but not even Maria's soul appears to be here.

"Raven are you sure you spoke the spell right, I mean you did only learn magic a couple days ago right?"

"Luke you don't understand. I was born with magic in my blood. If I was an amateur, then yes a spell like this wouldn't work. But there is no ordinary magic in my blood" I say sighing.

He doesn't understand...I adapt to things easily that's all.

"Then why isn't there a single soul-" Luke jolts to a silence and stares just behind me. Confused, I abruptly turn around and there in the distance is the soul of a blonde haired woman.

Maria Smith..

Only she did not appear to be the woman in the picture I saw. My eyes avert to the page open in the book of souls and I desperately look at her picture.

Her eyes are full of life and there's love in her cheeks. Looking back up at the soul, none of these features appear on her. Of course, she is dead so no life will be found in her but I've never seen a soul so ghastly pale as her.

Before I can say another word, Luke runs from behind me and makes his way over to what was once his mother.

"Mom?" Luke cries out desperately as he finally reaches her. I watch in pain as I see him attempt to grab his mothers hand and then watch his flesh and blood go right through her.
Luke stares desperately into the eyes of Maria's soul, only these were no eyes of a mother. These were the eyes of death, the white soulless pit that consumes those who are condemned.

"Remember the wandering souls are lost causes"

My fathers words taunt me as I watch Luke hopelessly try to make contact with the lifeless spirit in front of him. Reluctantly, I make my way over to him and witness the condemned soul for myself.

"I don't understand, why isn't mom responding?" Luke asks desperately as he turns to me.

"She's gone Luke" I say, directing my vision to the floor as those heartbreaking words leave my lips.

"No she's right here look! She's standing right here, it's just the underworld that's all" Luke says, trying desperately to find a loophole.

I look up at the eyes that dare to overflow in the presence of Maria. Luke desperately holds back his tears.

"I'm sorry Luke...there's one thing I forgot to tell you about the souls in the underworld"

"What's that?" He asks, his gaze not removing from the figure of his mother.

"Some souls wander endlessly because they have unfinished business...others wander because their fate has been deemed to end with the underworld. I'm afraid your mother did something so terrible that it led to her being condemned to the underworld forever" I say with deep sadness embedded in my voice.

"My mom was innocent, she did nothing wrong!" Luke bellows as he turns to me. He rushes up to me and grips onto my shoulders.

"Luke calm down-"

"Do something Raven! You're a Demi God right?? Save her!" He says, shaking my shoulders as he does.

"Luke please, your grip"

As I speak, he seems to tighten his hold on me.

"You said to me yourself that the magic inside you is not ordinary. Save my mom!" Luke commands, his grip practically numbing my shoulders.

"Luke I know this is a bad time but even gods feel pain too and-"

"STOP TALKING AND SAVE HER ALREADY!" Luke screams at me. I finally hear a snap and immediately I fall to my knees.

I try lifting myself up with only my hands but I am unable to withstand my own weight as I collapse back onto the ground.

"You foolish boy" I say, chocking on my words.
Looking up, I make eye contact with his pale blue eyes. The look of regret is plastered all over them. How could I trust a foolish mortal like him. Or should I say, foolish immortal.

A small droplet escapes from my eye as I watch him. I trusted him. I thought I finally found someone.
"Trust is the first step to love Luke. I trusted you! I truly did, but you cared not for me but for what I could do"

"Raven this isn't how it looks"

"Silence!" I scream, using my last once of energy to glare at him.
"Spirits I beckon thee for thy help"

"Raven what are you doing?"

"This boy has abused his gift. I ask thee for help in my time of need"

"Raven please stop!"

"Seize his immorality, end his reign of power! Leave him as the mortal he once was.." I say, feeling the magic inside me burst out and strike Luke down.

He screams in agony as a magical surge hits him, removing his immortal abilities.

I am no monster, I have showed mercy upon him. I spared his life.

Luke collapses alongside me, falling unconscious. With the click of my fingers, I return him to earth. At least there he can rot till he reaches hell.

With all my strength, I look up at the gloomy sky. I will not die from the mortals foolishness. He has only temporarily weakened me. This will not be the end, a war is coming and I shall proudly stand on the battlefield.

Then all at once, darkness consumes me..