Chapter fifty: faith and trust

He hit the nail on the head, and that nail hit me hard. My weakness all along has been trust. It always will be. Why in gods name couldn't I trust people easily? Actually no In fact, why did I trust people too easily? I warmed up to Luke so fast and Leo was a one off but everyone else has betrayed me.

Luke wanted his mother.

Mother wanted me.

Blake wanted a cure.

And father wanted everything hidden from me.

Everyone I thought I could trust, turned against me and stabbed me in the back. Why is trust such a hard thing to earn??

"Looks like miss reaper has gone silent" Hermes says, smirking. Why has he turned all sinister all of a sudden?

"Hermes, usually you're an annoying little bugger, what's gotten into you?" Blake says, his cerise eyes piercing Hermes dull ones.

Wait...

Dull eyes!!!! Hermes eyes are normally bright not cloudy like they are now! Something's not right...

I turn to Ally's face. Why is she here anyway? Closely, I look deep into her eyes. She looks frightened...

Why would she be frightened?

Unless...

"That's not Hermes, is it Ally?" I question, looking into her fearful sapphire eyes.

"Raven-" before she could finish her sentence, the fake Hermes slapped a hand over her mouth.

"Get your hands off her" Leo growls out.

The demon's got a soft spot for her...just like I do...

"It appears that demons are not the only ones who can deceive" the supposed Hermes claims, chuckling darkly.

Then it hit me. This time, I look deep into the imposters eyes. Their true colour was sticking out from the dull blue colour. A piercing grey colour in fact.

"Rayne" I say, my eyes widening at him.

With a snap of his fingers, a deep green smoke surrounds him and his true form is revealed. He grabs Ally's arm, his grip so tight that Ally's fragile skin grows white under his touch.

"Like mother like daughter" Rayne chuckles darkly.

"I'm nothing like that monster!" I snap in anger.

"Ah but you are. More than you realise. Now onto business" Rayne says, turning his undivided attention to non other than Blake.
"Tell your dear sister here who is babysitting your little brat Blake"

I turn to Blake to find his face had grown white with fear. Blake slowly turns to me and gulps.

"I called a babysitter in town called Jane" he says. Realisation dawns over me and I turn back to Rayne.

"Harriet! Your daughter?!" I say, realising that if he disguised himself it's possible he sent Harriet to kidnap Blake's little boy.

"Now you two will come with me or the girl and the boy gets it" he says, holding a sharp blade against Ally's neck.

Callum will kill me if he finds out Ally's life is being threatened...

Where is he anyway?

Pushing the matter aside, I stare deep into Raynes piercing eyes.
"Let her go and I will go with you" I say, looking down to the ground.

"Raven no!" Blake cries out just as Leo stares at me in shock.

"I need two reapers, not one!" Rayne beams, glaring at Blake.

I turn to him and immediately shake my head.
"Don't do it Blake" I say, watching his features grow paler.

"He has Edward Raven, I can't let my only son die" he says, looking at me.

For a second, I thought I saw a crystal tear roll down his cheek but just as I blinked, it was gone. I must have imagined it...

"Cmon Mr prince of darkness, you're smart, you can get out of this mess" I hear Leo whisper in Blake's ear. Blake firmly nods in the demons direction then turns to me. He quickly grabs my arm and faces Rayne.

"Let them both go and we will come with you" he says with confidence. Rayne grins as he slowly loosens his grip on Ally.

As soon as she can escape from his grasp, Ally runs towards Blake and I, tears streaming down her face like a waterfall.

"Don't go Raven" she pleads, looking deep into my eyes before Leo places a hand on her shoulder in comfort.

Rayne snaps his fingers and a green smoke surrounds my brother and I. All of a sudden I feel dizzy and can't comprehend what is happening around me. I hear a thud next to me and find Blake is lying on the floor unconscious. I take a quick look around and find we appear to be back in Crowes home.
Instantly I fall to the ground, my eyelids growing too heavy for me to pry then open. Just as I'm about to slip out of consciousness, I hear the words of the woman I used to call mother echo around the room.

"Children always come running back to their mothers"
-------------------------------------------------------

Leo's POV
I watch intensely as the green smoke disappears along with the two reapers that were once stood in front of me. That's when I hear the sound of wings beating behind me, causing my instincts to kick in as I pull Ally behind me. I look upwards to find the annoying messenger flying hurriedly towards us.

I glare at him, feeling my eyes ignite at his presence. He falls to the ground clumsily, landing at my feet. Slowly his crystal blue eyes look up at me and he discovers the scowl on my face.

"Where the hell have you been" I say in a dark tone.

"I was stunned Leo, Rayne is on his way to take Blake and Raven. He had Ally-" suddenly he stops as his eyes meet Ally's sapphire ones which are looking scarcely at him.

"You're late" I growl out, glaring right through him.

"Well if looks could kill I'm certain I'd be dead by now hey!" Hermes says, awkwardly laughing at me.

"You dare laugh at a time like this!" I beam, pushing him back to the ground like the dirt he is.

"Listen Leo, chill out okay! Look this is Raven we're talking about. She will find a way out again and come home safely" he says, in attempt to reassure me.

"Don't you understand you pathetic excuse of a God. Ravens mother has been growing stronger and she's grown more cunning in the art of capturing her own daughter. Raven has needed help the past few attempts Crowe has had against her because she is growing stronger, and you think it's okay to sit here idly doing absolutely nothing!" I scream out at him, allowing my anger to take over.

Raven is in danger and I need to rescue her.