Chapter two: Lukes tale

I returned home and I wasn't surprised to see my father waiting impatiently on his throne for me.

"Raven who's soul did you collect today?" I shrug.

I didn't know the boy.

"Look father, I was getting that boy's soul like you asked then a whole different boy jumped in front of him as soon as I swung my scythe. Luke then ran away before I could catch him." I exclaim, disappointed more in myself than he was with me.

"Do you understand how dangerous that is for the balance! Raven I'll have to catch his soul before it gets to the underworld just to ensure that the fates don't take advantage of the balance being tipped!"

I stare at him in silence for a few moments. The fates are dangerous. They don't like humans, at all. They'd prefer them to all be dead.

My father made a deal with them at the beginning of time. He promised that if he kept the balance of human lives in check, meaning when a new life is created, another needed to be taken, the fates would have to agree since it would keep them busy.

After all, they were the ones deciding who would live or die.

"If that's the case, I'll send you out again tomorrow, is that understood?" My father says sternly, rubbing his temples with the palm of his hand.

"Understood father" I say, curtsying as I leave the room.

He may not have expressed it, but I could see the glint of shame in his eyes. He wasn't mad, he was disappointed. And perhaps, surprised?

This is the first time I've failed him. I've never collected the wrong soul or failed to collect the right one before.

What happened to me?

As soon as I arrive in my bedroom, I change into my red silk nightgown and decide to head in early for the night. As I get into bed I couldn't help but wonder who that strange boy really is and how he knew my name.

Luke's POV
Those eyes were certainly something. They were the colour of passion and love but then again she was a reaper.

That means they could resemble the colour of blood.

I hated the thought of a pretty girl like her being the Grim Reaper's daughter.

I still can't get the moment out of my head. She was just so mesmerising and how amazed she was that I could touch her in reaper form.

I guess she's never come across someone like me before then again neither have I.

It all started when I was left a note by a town witch. It said that I needed to seek her knowledge to understand what I am.

Now a normal kid probably would have ignored this note. But not me. I'd been experiencing some weird things over the previous weeks, and all I can say was my mind was a little frazzled.

So I paid her a visit and she told me I was stuck between two dimensions.

This meant my soul was very rare as I had the knowledge of the supernatural world and I was living the life of a normal human.

The witch explained I had my mother to thank for this. I remember the day she had taken my little brother Jamie and I away from our father because she was frightened.

Jamie.

Oh how stupid he was, why did he have to be the hero and jump in front of me?

Did he seriously think that would save my life?

I don't know how I'll be able to get him back, but I couldn't let his sacrifice be in vein. Still, the person that led to his demise was all I could think about.