Chapter thirty nine: danger of a toddler

"Raven I mean it, I don't want you here" Blake says, sounding exhausted.

The tiresome two year old clearly isn't simple to care for.
Then again, I could never see my brother as a father. In fact, I thought he'd never love. After I broke the curse he was under, I thought that there was a slight chance he may be back for good. Back as my brother again. But of course, the fact that the spell could only last a few weeks was burrowed at the back of my mind. He was gone for two years. A love spell doesn't last that long. I'm still baffled over the fact that he has a child. Why couldn't he tell me? If he didn't hide the child then maybe I wouldn't have the thoughts I do.

I must keep the reaper realm a secret. I may not be a reaper, but I know for a fact I'm an angel of death. Reapers are the harbours of death. That is what an angel of death is. It's who I am. However, due to my godly genes, I'm more than that. A lot more it seems. One day, I have the chance to take over the throne. But if seating upon the throne of death means I have to lock up some knowledge from my friends and family, I don't know if I want to sit upon that throne.

"Why?" I manage to muster out, staring into my brothers garnet eyes.

"I don't want you here. It's that simple"

"Not why should I leave. Why did you have the child?" I ask seriously. I know why he wants me to leave. What I can't wrap my head around is why on earth would he want a child? I thought he despised children.

"Raven when I told you the reason for leaving the underworld, I didn't lie. I left because of love. I love her Raven. Why is that so hard to believe?" He asks through gritted teeth.

"Blake everything you have ever done in your life is dark. Why would it all change for some girl?"

"You think I'm going to explain in front of gossip girl over here?" He says, pointing to Hermes. The messenger lets out a chuckle as he begins to speak.

"I've gotta say Blake. You surprised not only your sister but me as well! Congratulations, you're unpredictable. Would you like a medal?" Hermes says, glaring at my brother.

"What can I say, I'm full of surprises" he says, folding his arms over his chest.

"Well lil Demi God. So am I" Hermes says, his face stone cold as he places a hand on Blake's shoulder.
"I'm just as unpredictable. Be careful who you mess with"

"I'd say the same but, it appears you're already working with her" Blake says, turning his gaze towards me.

"Blake" I say through clenched teeth.
"Answer the question"

"Why do you think I hid him Raven? You're too smart to just not think of the reason yourself, tell me, I'm all ears!" Blake says, opening his arms out wide.

"Does he have powers Blake" I say, looking at him for an answer. For a moment, silence falls over the room. Blake turns to me, a sinister smirk plastered on his face.

"If I say he did, are you gonna kill my only son?" Blake says, nearing towards me, leaving less space between us. I take a step forwards, becoming an inch away from each other.

"Not if you tell me why you hid him"

"I couldn't risk it Raven. He's nearly three. I don't want his life to be consumed by death. I don't want him to have my life"

"Why do you care if you don't mind me asking. You don't seem the 'daddy' type" Hermes says, interrupting the staring contest with Blake and I. Blake takes a step back.

"Eddie wasn't planned. Once I found out about him, I accepted it. I was going to be a dad. I love Sarah and Eddie is proof of that love. I want him to have a normal life. If that means I have to separate him from me altogether, I'll do it. As long as he stays away from my sisters clutches"

I go to close up the newly formed gap between us until a hand on my shoulder stops me. Hermes is holding me back. He looks at me, gesturing for me not to get carried away. Sighing, I take a step back.

"I'm not going to kill him Blake" I finally say, looking away from him.

"You expect me to believe you?"

"If the child has powers, there's not much I can do. At the same time, you can't hide his lineage from him. He's bound to find out when he's older"

"Oh yea. The kid will find out. I think he's spotted me far too many times for comfort" Hermes says, leaning against the wall.

"You've been spying on my son!" Blake beams, glaring at the God. Hermes holds his hands up in surrender.

"I sensed a strange aura. Came to check it out and found your kid"

"Well don't find him again" Blake practically spits out.

Footsteps suddenly advance towards us. The wooden door to the room creaks open as Blake's lover steps through with the child fast asleep in her arms. She takes a look at me and holds a hand over her mouth.

"I-is that?" She stutters before Blake makes his way towards her and places an arm on her shoulders.

"It's ok, I'm here to protect you" Blake says soothingly to the woman. She begins to relax as she takes in my appearance.

"You're Raven" she finally says, making eye contact.

"Hello Sarah" I say, rolling her name off my tongue causally, almost tauntingly.

I watch the child in her arms toss and turn. He's waking up. My main focus becomes the child as his body jerks towards my direction. Then all of a sudden, his eyes flung open and staring back at me are two obsidian orbs.

The child isn't human.