The Quarell between the Witch and Servant

Zofia was surprised at the lack of security. I mean, having only 1 guard on duty? This was way below the standard, especially for guarding the prince of Pars.

The tactician, Narsus, didn't even bother to really question her into the group. When Daryun noticed her suspicion, he only said, "If Narsus felt there was something off about you, he would've done something by now."

Though Zofia questioned his methods - which only made that boy, Elam, more suspicious of her - she was thankful for keeping Arslan alive while she was away. She had missed him, and he had missed her.

———

Zofia stayed awake, right beside the prince. She had done this many nights before at the palace, and had no problem doing it now.

Narsus looking at her with watchful eyes. "Why is it," he asked. "that she is so loyal to him? I know she's the Prince's guard, but her loyalty could even be compared to yours."

Daryun nodded. "It is because of the prince, that she still lives, and had such a good life in Pars." He explained how Zofia and a Lusitanian boy had taken the prince, the goose chase they lead his men on, the escape of the Lusitanian boy, and the offer Lord Vahriz had given her.

"Quite the tale to tell." Narsus commented. "And your sure we can trust her, given her history with Lusitania and her abilities?"

He was taking about her magic. Magic was not held in high regards by most people, and was often frowned upon.

"I realize she's not ideal." Daryun said. "But she has never harmed the prince or has used her magic against us. She will be a great addition to our army, and someone we can rely on."

Zofia snorted. "You sound like the king, Daryun. Though I doubt he had ever described me as reliable."

The men stopped talking. They hadn't realized she was eavesdropping. They left the conversation at that.

———

The group of 7 split into the groups in the morning. Gieve was paired with the stunning priestess, Farangis, watching the roads for Lusitanians.

Daryun and Narsus were to journey to Ectbatana, undercover. As many times as Daryun asked Zofia to come, she refused. She had tried to hard to escape from there, and it would take a lot more to get her back.

"Besides, I would rather stay here protecting his highness." Zofia said.

"You would help his highness a lot more if you found out what happened to the King and Queen."

"Nope. Not interested. My job is to protect the prince, and that's what I'll do."

Daryun gritted his teeth, annoyed at her, yet understanding.

Zofia owed it to the prince to stay behind and look after him. Besides, she couldn't leave him with Elam. It wasn't to say that she didn't trust him, but he had tried to kill her multiple times.

He wasn't her favorite person, and vise versa.

Daryun sighed. "As you wish then."

Arslan smiled. Zofia annoying Daryun was the most normal thing he'd felt since leaving the capital. It reminded him of the days before the battle of Atropetine.