𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧

Upon entering the forge, Keira immediately spotted Luke patiently waiting for assistance.

The rhythmic clanking of machinery filled the air, adding to the intense heat inside the workshop. It spoke volumes about the dedication of the Hephaestus cabin members, who seemed unfazed by the sweltering conditions.

Luke had brought in a dagger that Jane had discovered in the armory. She had expressed an interest in learning to wield daggers, and Luke had offered to help her. Though the blade was worn and in need of sharpening, its intricate design had caught Jane's eye. She had entrusted Luke with the task of bringing it to the forge while she attended her early morning archery classes.

Keira also required a knife repair of her own. Following the reconciliation with Annabeth, her younger sister had approached her with a request for private lessons in dagger combat. While Keira possessed an array of weapons, none were suitable for sparring with someone considerably smaller in stature. The only dagger she owned that matched the appropriate size had been neglected for some time, bearing wear on the handle and showing signs of scratches. Prior to commencing the lessons with her sister, Keira intended to have it repaired.

Keira was aware that Luke had always been her instructor, and if Annabeth requested her guidance instead, there must have been a reason she preferred not to continue learning from him. She suspected it had something to do with Luke's recent involvement with Jane, judging by Annabeth's frustrated expression whenever she saw the two together. However, since her sister chose not to divulge any details, Keira refrained from probing further.

Observing his tall frame and sandy hair as he leaned against one of the workbenches, she couldn't help but smirk. It had been several weeks since their last encounter, and Luke appeared to be going through what Keira internally termed as the 'denial phase.'

This phase submerged him into a deceptive belief that he had regained control of his life, convincing himself that he no longer cared about her. Yet, in reality, his thoughts were deeply rooted in a subconscious effort to avoid encountering her. Keira keenly understood that Luke's actions, such as dating Jane, were merely mechanisms his mind employed as a shield against the emotional turbulence she induced.

The daughter of Athena was also aware that the moment she resumed to have contact with him, he would become even more insane than before. It was a kind of rebound effect. That's why she was purposefully letting him drift away, knowing that sooner or later, he would come back to her.

The longer Luke took to return, and the more he believed that she no longer mattered to him, the more it would affect him upon his return, and the more power it would give Keira over him.

As she walked into the forge, she anticipated what she thought would be a fun interaction.

Or at least, fun for her.

"Morning, kiddo," she greeted, her voice carrying a playful tone as she leaned against the same desk Luke was resting on.

He returned the greeting with a slight nod, his attention seemingly elsewhere. Keira interpreted his lack of interest as a rather positive signal and was on the verge of making a witty remark.

But before she could utter a word, George emerged from behind a machine. Spotting them waiting, and especially catching sight of Keira, he approached with a warm smile lighting up his face.

When he reached the counter, his grin still intact, he greeted them both warmly. Luke took the dagger in hand, poised to explain his needs to George. However, Keira leaned forward, closing the distance between herself and George across the counter.

"George, darling," she began, her voice dripping with honey, as his blue eyes turned towards her with a special gleam.

Luke rolled his eyes, a flicker of frustration crossing his features as he observed Keira effortlessly taking the lead despite his presence. He considered voicing his discontent, but he knew it would likely only gratify Keira's ego, and George would likely acquiesce to her requests regardless.