𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

The night of July 4th held a special significance for most campers at Camp Half-Blood.

Some gathered with friends, relishing the soothing summer breeze by the shore and admiring the rhythmic waves, eagerly anticipating the spectacular fireworks display prepared by the Hephaestus children. With each passing year, the pyrotechnic show put on by the campers of Cabin Nine grew more elaborate and impressive.

Others found themselves in the company of their significant others, embracing the longstanding tradition of sharing this magical evening together. Inviting someone special to witness the fireworks had become a cherished tradition among the half-bloods, a timeless romantic date that never lost its charm. As such, on the beach that night, there were both long-term couples and new pairs just beginning to explore their connection, like Jane and Luke. The two demigods sat side by side, fingers intertwined, gazing up at the stars in anticipation of the show.

Other campers, like Keira Blackwell, spent the night alone.

Despite numerous invitations from boys attempting to persuade her into a date—each met with a decline that might not have been considered particularly polite—, friends urging her to join them, and even Chiron offering to sit with her on the sand and enjoy the show, the daughter of Athena remained entirely alone. She lay on the sand, lighting one cigarette after another, her gaze fixed on the sky without registering the constellations above.

In previous years, Keira used to come and watch the fireworks with Jon and Nik. Each year, the trio eagerly awaited the start of the show, their eyes fixed on the sky, palpable excitement filling the air as they discussed their plans for the remaining summer days. As they gazed at the sky, waiting for the spectacle to begin, Jon, passionate about astronomy, would attentively point out each of the stars and name them aloud. Amid Jon's intense stargazing, Keira would occasionally sneak glances at Nik, playfully rolling her eyes without Jon noticing, and mouthing "boring!" Nik would chuckle along, pretending to find the gesture amusing.

Pretending that the three of them were friends.

Keira's heart sank as she realized it was her first 4th of July without Jon. It plummeted even further as her eyes fell upon Jolene, seated just a few feet from the shore, while a son of Apollo wrapped an arm around her waist, pulling her closer.

Jon had harbored feelings for Jolene for years, but he had only confessed them to Keira during the quest last winter. Keira had managed to convince Jon that when they returned to Camp Half-Blood, he should ask the daughter of Aphrodite out on a date. However, since Jon had never returned to camp, that date would never happen.

The blonde couldn't help but feel a pang of bitterness as she watched the happy couple near the sea, cuddling. Jon should be the one placing that arm around Jolene's waist. Jon should be the one accompanying the brunette on this special night, not that stupid son of Apollo, who was so irrelevant that Keira couldn't even remember his name. His identity didn't matter, as there was no way he deserved a happy ending while her best friend, who was dead, did not.

Determined not to let her thoughts consume her, Keira sat down to light another cigarette and averted her gaze, scanning the other campers on the beach. Observing people and studying their body language, however strange and unsettling it may sound, always helped her distract herself and keep her mind occupied.

Sonia and Melissa had also secured dates, both campers from the Demeter cabin, and the four of them sat in a circle chatting amicably. Melissa spoke animatedly, gesturing exaggeratedly, while the guy beside her laughed at her words, subtly placing a hand on her knee in an attempt to break the ice. Sonia adjusted her hair, as she always did when nervous, but Keira quickly realized it was unnecessary. The way her date was looking at her, with admiration that Keira found both embarrassing and pathetic, suggested that he believed she couldn't possibly look any more perfect.