Part 3

Chapter 3

KATSUGAWA MIYUKI

Two days had passed, and now she found herself sitting opposite to her prospective husband once more. Her mind had been a literal mess over the two days as she tried to process his words, trying to make sense of his intentions.

The Daimyo's court was full of deceivers and liars, people who spoke in honeyed words despite having the blackest of hearts. Was he like them as well, trying to deceive her, and if not, then what were his intentions, for no one would let go of the kind of opportunity he had been offered as he had.

Yet as she sat there, all these thoughts racing through her mind, he sat opposite to her, uncaring and unaffected by the weight of his declaration, sipping his tea as the full moon illuminated the garden.

"Why?" she questioned, for this was the question that had plagued her mind the most. From what she could recall, she shared no distant relationship with him, nor did his brothers from what she knew. Then why was he offering her his aid at no cost, for there was one rule in politics that everyone knew?

'There were no free lunches in this world.'

He raised a brow at her at this, gently put down his cup as he began in his soft voice.

"I believe I answered that before Miyuki-him; what happened to your brothers was a tragedy, and your desire for justice should not force you to sell yourself," he offered as he had two days ago.

And she clenched her kimono in her hands as she looked at him with a sharp gaze.

"And what if you were to object to this match now? What would you do then?" she challenged, and he shrugged.

"Then this match shall be dissolved, I have no intention in taking someone so unwilling as a wife," he answered and then she saw his lips turn up as he continued.

"No matter how beautiful they may be," and her heart skipped a beat at those words, and she looked down as she felt her cheeks flush.

"A...aa.. What? You think I am beautiful?" she questioned demurely and heard him chuckle.

"Of course, I would argue that you are the fairest maiden in the continent," he replied, and she could feel her heat up at those words as silence reigned over between them again until she calmed her excited heart and questioned once more.

"What of the rumors?" she managed to eek out as she looked him in the eyes, and he frowned.

"Rumors," and then his eyes widened as he continued with a smile.

"Ahhh, rumors about my proverbial harem?" he was quick to make sense of her words, and she nodded. There were rumors that the infamous jito of Shinoi was a generous patron and backed most of the city's pleasure houses and provided them with amenities.

"I will not deny that a few oirans in Shinoi do enjoy my patronage, and even the rumors that I offer the women in such establishments appropriate healing, protection, and now even education is also true," he replied much to her shock, and she felt her lips this at those words.

And though that was nothing inappropriate, yet it somehow saddened her.

"Though, I must add that such opportunities are afforded to all those living in my lands, despite their occupation. Basic education and healers are afforded to all children in my land, even orphans," he continued, and she was surprised by those words.

That made much more sense.

"Then what of the oiran? Will you continue to visit them even after our marriage?" such a question would have been highly inappropriate under any other circumstances, and many lords would even have taken offense at that, and she only realized that later, when the words had long left her mouth.

Yet, as she glanced up, she found none of the fury she had expected in his gaze as he slowly sipped his tea and spoke up.

"Mu acquaintance with them has always been purely platonic, and I have no intention of changing that," he replied, and she looked down embarrassed as she bowed slightly.

"I apologize for overstepping, my lord. That was inappropriate of me," she said, hoping that he would not carry a grudge.

"It is fine, though it seems my lady is not fond of sharing me," he teased her, and she could see him looking at her with a smile as she sighed and looked up.

"Then what is your answer, my lady?" he questioned, and she felt her heart twist, for despite his honesty, she had been anything but. She had little to offer him in this match, and then there was the secret that she had kept hidden for years.

Most people knew that her mother had died of disease, yet the truth was far more sinister. Her mother had been poisoned slowly over the years. Yet it wasn't only her who had been poisoned.

"I would be honored to be your wife, my lord, yet before you accept this, I must tell you something," she said and bowed her head.

"I am dying."

0000

KATSUGWAWA HIRAYOSHI

"This is a farce. The peace treaty offered to Iwa by the Sandaime Hokage is a farce. We cannot accept this, my lord," argued one of his advisors, another lickspittle that had risen up the ranks using the influence of his daughter, who was one of his concubines.

"Indeed, my lord. The reparations demanded are a joke, we cannot accept this," another one spoke up as the court gathered to deal with the end of the war, at least on one front though the conflict with Kiri had simmered down as well after the death of the Third Raikage.

"I have heard that Hiruzen plans to take responsibility for this and plans to retire by the end of the year," he spoke up, and the prime minister, Kazuto, nodded.

"Indeed, my lord," he confirmed, and the news unsettled him.

"This conflict has gone on for long enough, and if the cost of ending this decade-long war is gold, then it is a cost I am willing to pay; this war has cost us enough already. There is no need to continue this," he made his decision and saw that several people in the court were unhappy over that, and he would be hearing many complaints about this.

Yet he had made up his mind.

His health was declining by the day, and the succession crises that loomed after his demise could spell the end of the land of fire, giving the foreign powers a chance to interfere in their affairs. If the war was settled before his death, it would make sure that his lands would come out of the succession conflict in a better condition.

Yet it would all depend on one person. Akihito Shirahoshi and his capabilities, and how quickly and swiftly he would be able to put down all those who would oppose his own claim.

"With Hiruzen retiring, the leaf must choose another Hokage," he began and saw several of his advisors perk up at that.

Hiruzen Sarutobi had been chosen for his position by his successor, a choice that he had supported given his reputation and capability. Yet now, the man who had led Konoha for all these years was set to step down, and at very perilous times at that. So, he should have an equally able successor, and though the man had a right to nominate people, it was ultimately his decision to choose a nominee.

"Father, I believe we..." his son tried to intervene.

"Tut...tut..." he said, silencing him as he turned to look at the youngest member of the Council, the jito of Shinoi.

"Lord Shirahoshi, what are your thoughts on all this...."

0000

As always, you can read ahead and support me on Patre 0n. Your support makes it possible for me to write these stories. So, if possible, have a look and consider becoming a supporter. It would help me out quite a bit.

(P)(A)(T)(R)(E)(O)(N) / Drkest

Have fun reading!