Part 37

Chapter 37

DANZO SHIMURA

Danzo Shimura could scarcely believe his life as he sat in his home as a prisoner. Hiruzen had refused to see reason, seeing his actions as treason.

Treason! As if he would ever. He simply saw what everyone else was blind to. The young lord had a reputation; he was an anomaly, a harbinger of change, a disturbance in the great order of things. Danzo could not let that happen just like he could not let Namikaze become the next Hokage.

Being the leader of a country and the village was a responsibility, one that came with darkness that few could understand. A burden that only he could bear.

Yet his reasoning had gone unheard, as his own home had been declared a jail. He sat there surrounded by shinobi who allowed him neither a foot beyond the premise nor any contact with anyone outside.

So, he sat there infront of a table doing calligraphy biding his time. Waiting.

And as the shadows shifted behind him he felt that it was time.

"Everything is ready Danzo-sama," came the voice as one of his men knelt down in the shadows, his presence so thin that one could miss it while staring at him.

"Where are the rest of you?" he questioned. Their chakras may be hidden, but Danzo had seals placed on all of his operatives to keep track of them.

"Many have been captured, my lord. the Hokage has ordered a shutdown of ROOT. Jiraiya-sama led a special team to bring everyone in. Few resisted, but many were lost," and Danzo's lips thinned at those words, yet his anger and frustration did not show apart from the small crack in the brush in his hand.

"How many of you are left?" he questioned.

"Twenty, Danzo-sama. We have made all the preparation..." But suddenly his operative began to choke. Danzo's eyes narrowed as another figure came out of the shadows, his skin pale as snow, his chakra absolutely absent, yet that showed only his mastery of it.

His golden eyes gleamed in the dark as Dano felt himself at unease after a very long time as those slits narrowed towards him, as his agent lay there dead.

"What do you think you are doing, Orochimaru?" he questioned as he looked at the Third Sanin, the only one who shared some of his beliefs. Their similarities were thin, for while Danzo believed himself to be a servant for the greater good of the village, the snake sanin was filled with avarice. His actions were driven by personal ambition and greed, not the well-being of the village.

"Tying up loose ends," the Sanin said and Danzo saw a tanto gleam in the moonlight.

"Do you really think you could get away with that? You and I worked together, and soon that all shall come to light, and when it does, you will find yourself in a place much worse than I," Danzo warned him as he put down the brush.

"You and I are in this together. If we can...

"It is over Shimura." The pale jounin said as he threw a missive towards him.

"The boy has become the daimyo. You are done," and Danzo was surprised by that. He had sent a special unit after the boy, yet he had still lived.

"Namikaze was able to intervene in time and save the boy, and now he has slain all his enemies. He is the next daimyo, and he shall not forget about your betrayal. Your fate is sealed, and there is nothing sensei could do to save you," the snake sanin said, gritting his teeth as he realized the truth of that statement.

"The same goes for you," he snarled in rage as the sanin's lips turned up.

"I am afraid not," said Orochimaru as Danzo felt his body stiffen Poison, a very deadly poison he realised. And as he was about to push chakra into the eye, he had always kept bandaged, pain rippled through him as he found Orochimaru in front of him, his fingers digging into his skin and plucking out the eye.