Part 32

Chapter 32

KATSUGAWA MIYUKI

The Princess of the Fire nation sat opposite to her lord husband's concubine to be, a tumultuous set of emotions beset her. Lady Himiko Chiba was beautiful. The years she had beyond her had allowed her to blossom beautifully from a girl to a proper woman.

Yet Miyuki herself was a beauty in her own right, and that part of her didn't truly trouble her. No, what troubled her were the rumours and the words she had heard about the infamous Oracle. Miyuki may have been too preoccupied in her grief as a princess to care for rumours much, but even she was not oblivious to the whispers spoken about the infamous Oracle Priestess.

Said to be blessed by the Shinto Gods, Himiko Chiba was an anomaly in the world of nobility, occupying a somewhat mythical figure in many religious circles for her prowess.

"You must have my condolences on the death of your father. Hirayoshi-sama was a true noble who had brought much prosperity to these lands. May the Gods grant you patience and the lands a ruler as noble as him," she offered, sounding as she should. There was no hint of malice or fabricated sorrow in her tone as she finished her words.

The remainder of her father's death was a sorrow but one she must come to terms with quickly, given her station.

"Thank you for your kind thoughts, Lady Chiba," she said as she gave the woman a bow. And then there was silence again, despite her attempts, there was not much to talk about, until Lady Chiba shifted slightly as she began with a gentle smile.

"I must say I was rather surprised when word reached of Akihito-sama accepting my father's proposal for a match," she began, and Miyuki frowned; she was missing something there.

"I cannot see why you would be surprised, my lady. Lord Chiba is an esteemed lord, and you, a noble lady, and my lord husband were honoured by the matc..."

"But he wasn't the one who accepted it," suddenly she cut in, the words catching her off guard. They were dangerous words, words that could bring dishonor to Akihito-sama. So, she steeled herself as she narrowed her eyes.

"Himiko-sama, that is a prepostero..."

"There is no need to lie. After all, you must know of my other name, Princess," Lady Chiba said. She was not sure what she had just gotten herself and Akihito involved in.

"Me and Akihito go quite a way back, and I had always known that he would end up marrying you, Princess," she continued, her words making her still as she felt the world around her halt.

'She knew'

How? She knew of her status as the oracle, as the blessed miko. She had predicted storms and wars and other calamities, yet this was unexpected. Marriage.

"Your fates were intertwined, his and yours. I had seen it. Just as it is in his fate to ascend to your father's throne," Lady Chiba continued, unaware or uncaring of the effect her words would have on her.

"How can you say that? That is..."

"My Miracle," she cut in once more as she pointed her eyes, which were glowing ominously.

"You!" she gasped out as she was lost for words.

"I can see it. A person's fate. Not everyone's, but for those whom the gods wish to tell me. It sometimes comes as dreams, visions, sometimes even a simple sensation of wrongness..."

"What are you talking about?" she questioned.

"I am saying that life is often too boorish. Fate is a fickle thing. And I had thought none had the power to change it, that was until I met him," cut in Lady Chiba as she smiled, and she felt a shiver run down her spine.