Part 31

Chapter 31

AKIHITO SHIRAHOSHI

Akihito Shirahoshi rode back with his men towards the capital of his fief. The quick victory was a double-edged sword for him and his men, though he personally would lean more towards the blessed part.

They had come out relatively unscathed out of the battle, his men suffering little to no loss in the small skirmish that had taken place before the Fire Temple had stepped in. So, his men, while unscathed, remained unbloodied and untested, a small worry given the odds he faced.

They had the momentum now, yet he didn't wish to squash it by making a mistake. He had already received word that the capital had been sealed by the Guardian Twelve and the Fire Temple, denying the Third Prince and his men entry into the city, thwarting their plans of occupying the capital.

This gave the third Prince two choices, remain put and lay siege tot he capital, and wait for the funeral proceedings to end before launching an attack and taking over the capital. Or turn back and attack him, for he remained his only true contender.

"What do you think he will do?" he questioned Shinohara-san, the older man rode by his side, as they traversed through eh forest, their riding speed had been slowed down so as to allow the men some rest after the sheer bustle that had been the last few days.

"It is tough to say," began the old man as they rode at the head of his army.

"Both choices carry a sense of risk. Waiting for funeral to end would leave him open to an ambush, and as more time passes many a lord could attempt to pull out their support after the whole mess with his grandfather. On the other hand, you have just won a great victory, and attacking you would mean battling you on your terms and land, a feat which his advisors would surely caution him against," Shinohara san's reasoning was sound as the older man turned to face him.

"What would you prefer he do, Akihito-sama?" and that was an interesting question.

"I would prefer he have a change of heart and decide to become a monk at a monastery," he said with a smile as they both chuckled at his answer.

"That would end the war rather quickly," the older samurai added and he shrugged as he sighed out.

"That it would," but his mind raced to the earlier question as he thought of what he wished the Prince would do. Truthfully, there wasn't much difference between the two scenarios.

"It wouldn't make that much of a difference in either case, though I would prefer it if he were to face me in my own lands, that way I could at least hope to dictate portions of the whole affair," he replied after some thought and the older man nodded.

"Then let us hope it be as you wish," and with that they continued to ride, until a missive reached them halfway into their journey, a letter had arrived for him from his own castle.

He would open it and skim through it. It was from Miyuki, and contained the usual greetings on his victory followed by a wish to see him in earnest, it was all good until he reached the last portion of the letter.

And he felt himself groan internally at the words.

His discomfort must have shown as Lord Shinohara cut in from the side.

"I don't believe that groaning is an appropriate reaction on receiving a letter from your dear lady wife, Akihito-sama," he added smirking at him and Akihito shook his head.

"It is not my lady wife that has me groaning," he replied as Shinohara-san's eyes narrowed.

"Ohh, them who have you troubled, young Prince," he questioned.