Part 5: Shay

"Nothing ever happens on this blasted planet." The man crossed his arms with a huff, leaning against the crystal railing of one of the castle's many balconies.

"It's not all bad, Shay," his blue haired companion replied with a sympathetic look. She wore a light blue dress made from a wispy material that matched the color of her eyes, with a puffy skirt that ended at her knees. "We have freedom, here. We can do whatever we like."

"But there's no one else to share it with!" he protested, gesturing over the balcony at the sea of clouds below. "I've walked the surface a thousand times. I've named every creature, and their children, and their children's children. I've counted the types of flowers, I've tasted every fruit, every seed, every mushroom, I've been to the bottom of the damned ocean and counted the bloody fish. I can't take it anymore."

"We could get Thalia, and build another castle," the girl suggested.

He shot her an irritable look. "I don't want another castle, Mira. I'm lonely. I want people. I want the parties, and fights, and drama they bring with them. I haven't been laid in a century, for Star's sake. I should have had great-great-grandchildren by now."

"We can't sneak off world again. If Marius catches us—"

"I know," he rolled his eyes. "It's just so incredibly mind numbing. What's the use of having this whole planet if there's no one else for the rest of time?"

"You have me," she offered with a shrug.

He sighed, wrapping his arms around her. "Sorry, love. You know I didn't mean—"

"I know. I know it's lonely sometimes, but would you rather the alternative? We would be dead without Marius."

He didn't respond.

"Shay, you can't be serious," she said, pulling away.

"It's just, what's the point of immortality if you're stuck with the same six people for the rest of eternity? No romance, no adventure, no family. No new friends, or new experiences. There is literally nothing new under this sun. Two hundred years ago, I thought this would be the best thing that ever happened to me. Now I'm just bored out of my bloody mind."

He buried his head in his hands, running his fingers through his crimson locks.

"Shay—"

"I know, I'm sorry. I shouldn't complain."

"No, look!" she cried, grabbing his shoulder.

He looked up, following her pointed finger toward the sky. There, in the distant atmosphere, a glint. "What the hell is that?"

"I think— I think it's a ship."

"Damn the Stars, they're going to crash!"

"What do you mean?"

"Thalia's shield. When they hit it, they'll—"

A loud, distant boom interrupted him. He gestured toward the ship as it began to spin out of control. "The first visitors we've had in a hundred bloody years, and Marius' brilliant idea of 'protection' is going to kill them."

"Not if we get there first," said Mira, a spark in her eyes.

"We'll never make it in time."

"Then hurry!"

"Wait. I need my cloak."

"What for?" Mira asked with a frown.

"Mira, I look like the devil of old. If they're not killed in the crash, the mere sight of me will finish them off. In fact, get yours, too. Hurry up!" He darted through the white crystalline halls to his quarters, throwing the deep red cloak over his shoulders and drawing the hood. He found Mira in the hall, holding out her hand to summon a blue circular portal in front of her.

They stepped through it into the forest and he stared in dismay at the mangled ship. "We're too late," he said.

"But there could be survivors. Let's look!" Mira cried, hurrying toward the wreckage.

Steeling himself for disappointment, he began to circle to the other side of the sizable ship. It was much too large to have been a personal ship; he estimated it must have carried either cargo or passengers. Bits of debris littered the ground, and some yards ahead he could see two women that had been flung from the cockpit lying still among the broken glass.

Even from the distance, he could see that they were dead.