Part 40: Perfect

Angeline sat on the ground in front of one of the log stools, staring at the fire as she listened to the sounds of the guitar and flute and people laughing in the background.

Flora was the kind of pretty that compelled straight men fall over themselves just to stand closer to her, and clamber desperately to help her with things she didn't need help with. The kind of pretty that makes you wonder what the point is.

She had hazel eyes and a heart shaped face with a perfectly upturned nose, dimpled cheeks, sunkissed fair skin, and perfect eyebrows. She spoke with one of those cutesy girly voices, with a silvery laugh and perfect white teeth for her perfect smile. Her waist was sculpted by the stars into a perfect hourglass, her legs were nicely toned, and on top of having a generous amount of cleavage, she had a full bakery.

If she set her sights on someone even remotely attracted to women, that was that. And it was obvious she'd set her sights on Shay.

They were dancing for an eternity, with her constantly touching and clinging on him. Now they were just talking, which was arguably worse. Hearing her giggle at every word he said made Angeline want to throw herself in the fire. She sat facing away from them to avoid the urge to stare.

It took so much concentration to keep her feelings buried that she didn't notice Aster sitting down behind her.

"Hi, beautiful," he said.

She blinked out of her daze and looked over her shoulder with a forced smile. The ache in her chest made her grateful for his company.

"You look upset," he said with concern.

"Just tired," she lied. It was comforting to know he couldn't tell what she was thinking.

He brought his hands to her shoulders, gently kneading with his thumbs. She closed her eyes and leaned against his knees. "I miss you," he said quietly. "I miss your face," he lifted his right hand, stroking her cheek with his fingers, "and your kisses."

From across the way, she heard Flora's obnoxiously perfect laugh ringing out. She got up and turned to face Aster, bringing her arms around his neck as she climbed into his lap.

"What about the Guardian?" he asked, eyes wide with concern.

As if he hadn't noticed Flora hanging off him like an ornament. She glanced up at Shay, who seemed engrossed with whatever the brunette was saying.

Without a word, she focused on Aster and kissed him deeply. He smelled like grease and sweat and tasted vaguely of salt and asparagus. One hand on her waist, the other delicately against her cheek, he held her as if she would break.

She pulled closer to him, running her fingers through his messy curls. With her other hand, she took his from her waist and brought it to her breast. The way he lightly moved it back to her waist, almost as if he somehow hadn't noticed, made her want to throw him in the fire.

She pulled away with a frown to ask him why, but Shay's red eyes caught her attention from a few meters away. He was staring at her, eyes boring into her soul.

As Aster began to turn to follow her gaze, she grabbed him by the chin and kissed him again. She glanced back at Shay to see him biting into another Aobana, still talking to Flora.

He looked at her again, and Flora followed his eyes. Her smile faded and she said something that snapped his attention back to her with a look of confusion. He responded with a shake of his head and brushed past her, headed for the forest.

"Shay!" Flora called after him. She put her hands on her hips with an exasperated look and turned back to the others.

Angeline followed him with her eyes until he had disappeared into the trees. Aster took her chin in his fingers, pulling her focus again. His forehead was creased in a frown.

"You do not look at me the way you look at him," he said.

"What do you mean?" she asked.

He trailed his fingertips along her cheek and kissed her softly. "You look at him like he is the stars."

She looked down. "I don't mean to."

"I worry you will tell him our plan."

"I won't."

"How can I trust you when you are in love with him?"

"I'm not," she said a little too quickly, her eyes darting toward the forest.

He pushed her to her feet and stood up irritably. "Go and follow him, then. I should have never told you."

"Aster," she called as he strode away.

She stood hesitantly for a few seconds, a nervous feeling building in her gut before she turned toward the trees and hurried after Shay.