Part 22: Knife

Content Warning: This chapter contains graphic content.

Angeline clung to Shay for dear life as they soared through the clouds on Kyte's back. Behind them and a bit to the left was the village, a smudge of green nestled in the sea of purple trees. Beyond it, a vast blue ocean. Barely visible to the right was a towering mountain covered in snow, and up ahead of them — much closer than the mountain — were sheer gray cliffs that rose up from the terrain, almost silver in the sunlight.

Shay let out an excited cry, raising his hand in the air as they dipped down below a cloud. Angeline shrieked and clutched him tighter, squeezing her legs against the massive bird. The wind roared past them, whipping every loose strand of hair that hadn't made it into her hair tie against her face.

She tucked her cheek against the back of his shoulder, moving her hand up to his chest. She could feel his muscle through his soft shirt, and the subtle rise and fall with each breath.

"Hang on!" he called, leaning forward with her still against him.

"What do you think I'm doing?!" she cried, screaming as Kyte dipped straight down. She could hear Shay laughing as he spread both arms to the side, and for a moment she thought they were simply falling.

As her stomach briefly dropped out of existence, they swooped back up and soared over the gray cliffs.

"Woo!" Shay exclaimed, lifting his hands above his head. Seeing how much fun he was having was infectious. She couldn't help smiling, and by the time they landed, she had loosened her grip significantly.

He swung his leg over Kyte's neck and dropped down, offering his hand to Angeline. She reached for him as she began to move her leg back and immediately fell sideways with a shriek. She landed with her upper body in Shay's arm and her right leg still on Kyte's back.

He laughed. "Let go, Angel. I've got you." He caught her legs in his other arm and gently lowered her to the ground.

"Why do you keep calling me that?" she asked, unsuccessfully trying not to grin.

"It's shorter than Angeline, and... it seems fitting." He paused. "Would you rather I call you something else?"

"No, it's fine. I was just curious."

He gestured ahead to a narrow trail that led down the side of the cliff. "It's a long walk from here. You're sure you want to come?" he asked.

She nodded. "Maybe I'll get to see a Goliath."

His eyes went wide in an alarmed expression. "For all our sakes, I hope not."

"Why can't we just fly to the mountain?" she asked.

"Kyte can't fly in the smoke, and I'm not about to land her in the middle of Goliath Valley. She'll be a sitting duck."

"Can't she fly away?"

"Goliaths are deceptively fast. Even if she managed to flee, she'd have drawn them into our path. We're much safer and less likely to find one going on foot. Besides, this way we have more time to talk." He set off down the steep path, and she followed. "When are you going to tell me about why you killed someone?" he asked.

"Why would you want to hear about that?"

"Curiosity. Why else?"

She crossed her arms over her chest.

"Your thought patterns aren't what I'd expect from a person who murdered someone in cold blood, that's all. You don't have to tell me, but I would like to hear it eventually."