Part 36: Run

Angeline fled through the forest, clutching her basket under her arm. The snarls and footsteps behind her were quickly drawing closer — until suddenly they weren't.

She dared a quick glance over her shoulder to see nothing but darkness a few trees back. The sight caught her off guard and her shoulder slammed into a tree, throwing her into a spin. She landed unceremoniously on her back, facing the deep shadow with wide eyes. It was solid black, engulfing every bit of light from just a few feet away.

And it was getting closer.

She gasped and scrambled back to her feet, leaving the dropped basket behind in her hurry. There was a slight breeze from behind her and a chill ran down her spine.

Black smoke danced around her feet as though toying with her. Finger-like tendrils of shadow grabbed at her ankles, but broke into fog as she ran. Terror worked its way quickly through her veins. Whatever it was, she couldn't outrun it.

Her breath came in quick, panicked gasps as she wove through the trees, desperate to find the village. The black smoke crept alongside her, lining her path and overtaking her on either side, somehow hesitating to swallow her whole.

She could see the fence ahead, lit with the softly glowing blue flowers. The realization that she was so close gave her a burst of energy and she pushed her legs to move faster.

The smoke rushed ahead and she stopped short as it finally surrounded her.

"Shit!"

A pale white face with solid black eyes appeared suddenly in front of her. "Boo."

She screamed, covering her mouth with both hands.

The face burst into maniacal laughter as the smoke moved toward it, solidifying into a person — a tall, lanky young man with a sharp nose and jet black hair, clad in solid black clothes. "I thought he said you didn't scare easy," he said with a grin, speaking in a similar accent to Shay.

Heat rushed to her face. "What the fuck!" she cried. "What are you?!"

"A Guardian. What else?" He answered, almost offended. He offered her a pasty white hand with painted black nails. "The name's Takka." He wore skin-tight leather pants with a pattern that almost resembled scales, a matching long-sleeved shirt, and stiletto heels.

She glared him up and down. "You scared the shit out of me."

He smiled. "Sorry, love, I couldn't resist. Shay was going on about how you were the only one not frightened of him. I had to show him up." He shrugged. "I don't bite though, really. I did get rid of the LightWalkers on your tail, so you're welcome for that."

"You killed them?" she asked in alarm.

"Of course not. Do I look like I've got a death wish? Between Shay and Marius, I'd never hear the end of it. Oh, and you dropped this." He held out her basket.

She snatched it from him with her lips pursed in anger.

"If you want to be mad at someone, be mad at Shay. Oh— but you already are, aren't you?" He smirked.

She rolled her eyes and brushed past him toward the village.

"Oi! Rude to leave a lad hanging," he called, following her over the fence.

"Leave me alone," she snapped.

"'Fraid I can't, love. I've been ordered to keep an eye on you while Shay recovers."

"I don't need a fucking babysitter."

"If it weren't for me, you'd be in pieces, digesting in two different LightWalkers right now. Would it kill you to be grateful?"

She narrowed her eyes with a spiteful sneer. "Yes."

His hands went up in mock-surrender. "Very well then. But I'm still not letting you out of my sight. I'm told you get into trouble a lot."

"Tell Shay if he wants to keep me out of trouble, he can do it himself." She slammed the back door and set the basket down with a huff.

"You do realize doors aren't really an issue for me?" Takka asked, leaning up against it with an amused look on his face.

She turned with a frustrated grunt and chucked a piece of a red asparagus-like vegetable at him.

He faded instantly into black smoke and it hit the door, bouncing off and landing on the ground. "Quite rude," he grumbled, shifting back into physical form. "I can't fathom what he sees in you."

"What who sees?" she asked.

"Shay, of course. Why, have you got other suitors?"

"Suitors?" she repeated with a repulsed tone.

"Flames, consorts, infatuants— look, I've been out of the loop almost three hundred years, love. You'll have to forgive me if I'm not up to date on the common terms."

She scoffed in disgust. "No."

"So it's just him?"

"What? No. He's not—"

"Not what? In love with you?"

The words hit her like a pile of bricks. He was lying. He had to be. But why would Shay have spent so much time to make her happy if he wasn't? "Of course not," she argued weakly.

Takka snorted. "I can't tell if you're denying it because you're just leading him on, or because you're frightened, but I know you're not that stupid. He expended his energy for you. Do you even know how long it takes for him to do that on his own?"

She crossed her arms and shrugged gingerly.

Takka leaned toward her for emphasis. "Months. Multiple. He spent that time alone, in solitude, for you. Whatever you feel for him, however invested you think you are, he's several months ahead of you, now. He's that much more attached to you than you will ever be to him."

Her heart was pounding in her ears. She fought to keep it quiet. "I didn't ask him to do that."

"Of course not. But he's an idiot. And a lonely one, at that."

"What's your point?"

He took a breath, examining her. "Do you love him?" His eyes bore into her and she looked away.

How could she? She barely knew him. He was immortal, over two hundred years older than her. Two hundred years of a life she knew almost nothing about. She knew she cared about him, but love? She had never even been in love.

"Good," said Takka. "Then for your own sake, stop leading him on."

"Good?" she repeated.

"Yes, quite. Because if you did love him, it would be that much harder for him to let you go. And like it or not, that's what he needs to do. If your little affair catches the attention of Marius, he will rain hellfire on you. You'll be lucky if the two of you don't get yourselves killed."

"I thought the Guardians were immortal."

"Only so long as Marius doesn't take the immortality back."

"Why would he do that to Shay?"

"For dishonoring him, falling for the enemy — that's you, by the way. What was that Old Earth love story, Ramiro and Janet, or something?"

"Romeo and Juliet?"

He frowned. "No, that's not right. Anyway, the story ends with both lovers dying. So, unless you'd like yours to end the same way, I suggest you stop playing with his heart."

"I'm not."

"No?" he asked, raising his eyebrows skeptically. He nodded toward the front door. "Who's that, then?"

She turned just as there was a knock. When she looked back, he was gone.