Part 34: Risk

"Good morning, mila."

Angeline mustered a smile at Marita's warm greeting. "Can I help with anything?" she asked, gesturing to the array of half-prepared food on the counter.

"I'm nearly finished. Would you be a dear and find Aster for me? I invited him for breakfast this morning, but I haven't seen him."

Of course.

Aster.

There was no avoiding him as long as she was spending time at Marita's. He and Mikal were inseparable.

"Sure." She made a face as she left, hoping that she wouldn't find him. Maybe he would show up on his own, and she could say she was gone looking for him.

To her dismay, he was already walking up the path. She turned back immediately.

"Annie," he called.

She paused with a wince, then turned back to him with a forced grin. "Hi," she said.

"Could I talk to you? Please?" he asked.

"Of course."

He took her to the side of the house. "That Guardian, the red one," he began, his Kespian accent soft on her ears. "How close are you to him?"

"Um..." she shrugged. "Why?"

"He asked me to stay away from you. He said if I did not, he would send you home."

She raised her eyebrows in surprise. Shay hadn't mentioned what it was he used as a threat. She had assumed it was simply violence.

"I think perhaps we can use that," he continued. "If he sends you home, you can call for help. You can get us away from here."

"Aster, I— I don't think he meant it," she said. "Even if he did, the planet's invisible, and technology won't work here. Any rescue attempt would just be throwing more peoples' lives away."

"You can send us things we need." He glanced over his shoulder, then lowered his voice to nearly a whisper. "Mikal and I are building a ship that does not need power. If we can get more supplies, we can work faster. We can make even a bigger ship, maybe enough to bring the others."

Her eyes went wide. It wasn't a bad plan per se, but if it hinged on her leaving Serenia, it was never going to work. The minute she set foot on any Azurian planet, there would be a dozen enforcers waiting to bring her in for killing Ted. But how could she tell him she was wanted for murder?

"Look, I'm telling you, it won't work. I-I'm not saying you shouldn't try, but—"

"Really?" he asked, a disappointed look in his eyes, "Because it seems like that is exactly what you are saying."

"No, I— I just don't want you to hinge your escape plan on me. It won't work."

"How can you know?"

"Because, he— he apologized to me this morning. He told me he threatened you last night and that he didn't mean it."

Aster cursed under his breath. "He is steps ahead already. But we know he is fond of you. Do you think he will trust you?"

She nodded hesitantly. "What are you saying?"

"He cannot find out that we are building this ship, but he may have what we need. If he cares for you, you could maybe ask him for some of these things."

"You want me to lie to him?" she asked in disbelief.

"Ask him. Please."

"Aster, he can read thought patterns. He knows when we're lying."

"Do not lie to him. But do not tell him the whole truth, yes? He is soft for you. He will trust you."

She crossed her arms over her chest, looking away. She owed it to them to try. She was the reason they were stranded. But to use Shay like that? If he found out — when, more likely — he would be furious with her. She could already never return to Midelian. Was she really about to risk the only place she could call home?

"Okay," she said reluctantly. "I'll try."