19

The next day had come and I was dreading walking into work. I did not want to go, but I did. I made my way into the building and headed straight to go see Archer. The doctors stopped me so I couldn't continue any further. "Johnathan had ordered us not to let you through."

My heart was aching and you could see it on my face. "Please. Just give me 5 minutes."

The doctor was hesitant but he could see the hurt in my eyes. "5 minutes. Thats all. Then you must go." I thanked him and ran into the room. I saw Archer strapped in his chair and he gave me a cold look.

As soon as he saw me walk in, he got a sudden surge of anger. He thought he was supposed to be the smart one here, but he was too idiotic to realize I wouldn't betray him.He immediately yelled out, "You think you could me up? Are you crazy?"

I was stunned. I didn't set him up, how could he think that? "I...I would never."

He scoffed. "You came up with this plan to kill him, then I get caught. Did you want me dead? Was that your plan all along?"

I stared at him in disbelief. "No! I love you, Archer. I wouldn't."

He just stared at me with this cold glare. "I never loved you. I was just using you. I needed you in my plan to escape this hellhole and you seemed to fall for it."

My eyes filled with tears. He... He didn't love me? "You don't love me? It was all a lie?"

He smirked at seeing my heart breaking in my eyes. He just nodded and stopped talking.

"Archer you have to believe me, I would never do this." I pleaded.

He just stared at the wall in front of him, not even glancing at me. He was like the Archer I met on my first day here. 

 I was about to speak but there was a knock at the door. It was the doctor letting me know that my 5 minutes was up. I sighed in defeat and headed towards the door, before I left I stopped and mumbled. "....I love you." And then I left. 

I went back to my office in tears and saw Johnathan waiting for me there. He had this smug look on his face. He loved seeing me hurt like this. He was filled with joy. "Your little boyfriend will be gone soon, don't worry." He chuckled. 

I was disgusted with him. I wished I had just committed the act myself. I wanted him gone. I walked up to him and slapped him. He just laughed in my face. "It is worth it. I'll let you slap me around, in the end, your pain and suffering will be worth it."

His smug look made me want to slap him 10 times harder. Before he left he turned to look at me, "Once I get the motion approved. I will personally come and let you know when his death date is." He laughed before walking off. 

My heart sank. His death date. I couldn't believe it. I knew he would want him gone, but I didn't think he would make a public spectacle of his death. He was mocking him. Determination filled me. I needed to fix this, I needed to stop it, but I didn't know how.

Hours had gone by and I was at my desk just filing paperwork, they needed all this information on Archer before they could proceed with his death. I was taking my time to try and prolong it. As I was deep into my work a knock was placed on my door. It was Johnathan. I internally rolled my eyes before looking up at him.

"I just wanted to come by and let you know that tonight will be the night."

My breath was caught in my chest. "Why so soon? I haven't finished the paperwork."

He laughed. "Well, considering he murdered a nurse and tried to kill me within a month, they see his behavior deteriorating. So it was decided for tonight. They can get the paperwork from you after he is dead."

My face saddened. "How will he die?" I asked, not really wanting to know the answer.

"Lethal Injection. Performed by you." He smiled.

My eyes grew wide with shock. I shook my head. "No. I can't."

He seemed amused by my rejection. "Ah, but you have to. You were deemed by the board to kill him. It would be illegal if you went against their wishes."

I felt defeated. I had to. He left the room and I just cried. I couldn't bring myself to do this. I was ordered to go to the room with the sedatives. I was examining all of the vials. My heart was broken the more time went by. The doctor handed me the lethal injection and I was ordered to bring it to the room where the death would be happening.

The room was empty, knowing that in a couple of hours, it would be full of an audience and a dying Archer. I couldn't bring myself to imagine it. Imagine him looking at me as he took his final breath. I started crying at just the thought of it. There was a doctor in the room with me, he placed a hand on my shoulder. "It will be over soon."

My heart saddened. He could see the pain in my eyes, he knew this was going to hurt and he felt compassion for me. He walked away to finish sterilizing the room and setting up for tonight's events. I walked back to my office with a heavy heart, I just wanted to see him one last time, but I couldn't. It would be too risky. 

Hours had gone by and I only had one hour left before I had to perform. I was racking my brain with ideas, trying to come up with a plan to save him, but nothing seemed to come to mind. I felt so drained and defeated. I wanted to run away, I wanted to cry. Then I became angry. He never loved me? That thought kept repeating itself. 

All the affection, all the kind words, everything... It wasn't real? Maybe he deserved to die then. He manipulated me so well I actually believed he loved me and cared for me. I was getting beyond upset, I was getting more and more upset as the time grew closer. I stormed into Johnathan's office and plopped myself into his chair.

He looked at me in confusion. "Come to change my mind?" He asked me in an amused tone.

"No," I stated.

His face grew puzzled. "Just hours ago you were hurt, and now you don;t want to do anything to try and fix this?"

I looked at the clock to see I had 10 minutes left before it was time. A smile grew on my face. "Im ready."