Chapter 3.

Toni

 As I gazed at my lukewarm coffee, Margaret Murphy's monotonous voice filled the room as she rambled on about our new colleague. Margaret, an administrator, always seemed to emerge from her hiding place whenever there were visitors around, eager to pry into everyone's affairs.

Despite Margaret's embarrassing display of admiration, our new arrival appeared to appreciate it, flashing a bright smile in return. It seems that this might be Margaret's best chance at a date in a long time. Perhaps if she wasn't so determined to be Tara's doormat, things would be easier for her.

Dr. Mark Sloan had gained fame as a renowned plastic surgeon on the East Coast, captivating the attention of both women and men with his attractive appearance. It was no surprise, considering his profession, that he possessed such appealing looks.

"Does anyone have any questions for Dr. Sloan?!" Margaret shouted as if the room wasn't the size of a closet. Most of my colleagues mumbled while the others stared at her blankly. Only the residents seemed even a little bit interested in what she had to say, but they still had enough joy left to be excited.

"Let us out already," my friend, Clara whispered next to me. She was an ER doctor, and this meeting was cutting into her break. Clara also couldn't stand Margaret, because Margaret had once tried to tell her how to run her ER, which Clara didn't appreciate. No one told Dr. Clara Torres how to run her ER.

I tried to hold in my snicker which earned me an agitated look from Margaret. But I wasn't the least bit concerned about her. Margaret was the same person who denied my transfer request a few months ago because she claimed the hospital couldn't afford to lose me. Offered to double my salary if I stayed on, but no amount of money will ever make Charming feel like home again.

Dr. Sloan locked eyes with me and I could see him squinting as if he couldn't see my face. I looked away from him and turned my attention to Clara who had her hand clamped over her mouth. "Ooh, you got in trouble," she sang in a sing-songy voice. I sucked my teeth and nudged her side as I ignored her.

"Dr. Teller, I'm sure you aren't too busy today, would you mind showing Dr. Sloan around the hospital?" Margaret looked at me with a victorious smile on her face as if annoying me was the equivalent of getting the winning Powerball numbers.

She knew I didn't have the time to be showing anyone around like some kind of tour guide, but she was doing it to spite me. And she also knew that I changed back to my maiden name as soon as my divorce was finalized. That was also another jab considering that Tara was now the one sporting her new engagement ring.

"Certainly," I said with a sarcastic smile, "I'm sure when I get back you'll remember what my last name is."

I could hear soft giggles going around the room, while others looked in anticipation at what Margaret might say next. "Oh, my apologies, I keep forgetting that you changed it. What is it again?" Margaret said, trying to sound innocent. I was wearing my coat, so I knew she was only trying to save face in front of Dr. Sloan.

"Oh, I know!" Clara raised her hand, excited to share my accolades. "Dr. Toni Thatcher, Orthopedic Surgeon at St. Thomas Hospital, was top of her class at UCSF School of Medicine, and has the highest success rate in this very hospital." Clara finished while locking eyes with Margaret, who now had a red tint to her cheeks.

"Wow, I'm going to need someone to do that for me next," Dr. Sloan said cracking a joke that seemed to thin the ice a little, but by that time the meeting was finally over. I was ready to get out of there but thanks to Margaret I had to play show and tell.

Tara attempted to make eye contact with me before leaving, but I paid her no mind despite her eyes burning holes into my face. At this point, her attempts at reconciliation were getting tiresome. I wanted nothing to do with her and that has been my stance for the last three years. I just wish that she would finally grab a clue and leave me alone.

Consider Me GoneOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara