𝟎𝟎𝟕.𝟒

𝟎𝟎𝟕.𝟒

𝐓𝐖. 𝐮𝐡𝐡 𝐤𝐢𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐧𝐠?

The old stone tunnels changed to earth with cedar beams, like a gold mine or something

The old stone tunnels changed to earth with cedar beams, like a gold mine or something. Annabeth started getting agitated.

"This isn't right," she said. "It should still be stone."

They came to a cave where stalactites hung low from the ceiling. In the centre of the dirt floor was a rectangular pit, like a grave.

Grover shivered. "It smells like the Underworld in here."

Then Percy saw something glinting at the edge of the pit – a foil wrapper. He shone his flashlight into the hole and saw a half-chewed cheeseburger floating in brown carbonated muck.

"Nico," he said, hoping Juliet was with him, "He was summoning the dead again."

Tyson whimpered. "Ghosts were here. I don't like ghosts."

"We've got to find him." Percy didn't know why, but standing at the edge of that pit gave him a sense of urgency. Nico and Juliet were close. He could feel it. He couldn't let them wander around down here, alone except for the dead. He started to run.

"Percy!" Annabeth and Augustus called.

Percy ducked into a tunnel and saw light up ahead. By the time Annabeth, Augustus, Tyson and Grover caught up with him, He was staring at daylight streaming through a set of bars above his head. They were under a steel grate made out of metal pipes. He could see trees and blue sky.

"Where are we?" He wondered.

Then a shadow fell across the grate and a cow stared down at him. It looked like a normal cow except it was a weird colour – bright red, like a cherry. He didn't know cows came in that shade.

The cow mooed, put one hoof tentatively on the bars, then backed away.

"It's a cattle grid," Grover said.

"A what?" Percy asked.

"They put them at the gates of ranches so cows can't get out. They can't walk on them."