first glance

Glass hit a wall and shattered into pieces.

"Dad, you got to stop throwing things when you're drunk, I'm tired of going to the store every week because you can't keep your glasses intact for more than a day!" Y/n called out from his room as he heard glass shattering implying that his dad had once again gotten intoxicated. "Mind your own business boy!" his dad's slurred voice echoed from the living room. The H/c haired boy grumbled, muttering curses under his breath knowing beginning an argument with his father would go nowhere. The old man's pride would not allow him to admit his fault, and Y/n would leech onto that arrogance, his anger would scrap against his rationality and make him say things he didn't want to leave his mouth or the corners of his mind.

Eventually, the male felt his stomach rumble from hunger and put his phone down in defeat then stood up from his bed preparing himself mentally to leave the comfort of his chambers. Most of the time he preferred to stay out of his father's way when he was intoxicated, which was every day, but he still tried to make the best out of his unfortunate situation. He opened the door and walked through the hall leading to the living room that would then go to the kitchen. He and his dad lived in a cramped apartment, it wasn't much, but taking into consideration his father's low-paying job combined with his drinking problems, Y/n was just happy he had a roof over his head, a bed to sleep in, and enough food to at least not starve to death. He walked into the living room where his father was slouched over on the sofa, booze bottles spread over the soft surface, and some bottles had fallen to the ground. His father was staring dazed at the Television, it was a pitiful sight, how he let himself fall so low.

As Y/n was about to step into the kitchen he heard his father's nagging voice ¨Hey, boy do your old man a favor and grab a beer from the fridge for me, will you?¨ Even though it was phrased as a question, Y/n knew it was more of an order. He clenched his jaw forcing himself to suck up his pride to avoid conflict and took a deep breath. "Sure Dad, " he said. He walked over to the fridge opening it to grab a beer, he noticed that the food supply was low. 'I'm going to have to go grocery shopping tomorrow i assume. If only most of our money didn't go to cheap booze.' 'The boy walked back into the living space and put the bottle down on a nearby coffee table with more force than intended, making the bottle hit the wood with a clank. "Here you go, enjoy." Y/n said bluntly before turning on his heels to go back into the kitchen. "At least you know how to do one thing right." His father scoffed.
The boy stopped in his tracks feeling his fists tense up in fury. "Dad?" He spoke through clenched teeth

"What is it?"

"...Drop dead."

Time skip

Y/n was sitting on his bed with an ice pack held against his eye socket. 'I've should've kept my mouth shut' he grunted. He knew he shouldn't have spoken up against his dad, but he could not help it, if his dad wasn't such a d***, he might have gotten along with him and had a normal father-son relationship. But life isn't that generous, unfortunately. Y/n knew that all too well. So, he didn't quite understand why he kept this false hope that his dad might one day decide to make a turn for the better. But some people just can't change. they either die trying or fall deeper into the pit they buried themselves in.

He let out a frustrated sigh as he took the ice pack of his eye and got up to look in the mirror. His left eye was swelled up and discolored. 'a black eye.' His vision was a bit obscured, as well as the banging pain that shot from his orbit to his head. ' I should've known better. I've lived with the man long enough to know his temper.' Y/n stared at his reflection for a few moments. 'But I don't have to live with him, I could go live with ...' His irises shifted to his phone ' Could I really though?' He bit his lower lip 'Would she even approve of me coming to live with her? Does she still live in the same house, in that town?'.