Chapter:- 8

As I contemplated, a car pulled up beside me, a familiar black luxury car. The back window rolled down.

"Get in," a familiar voice called out.

When I turned to see-it was Mu Liam.

"No, it's okay, I can walk by myself," I said.

He looked at me, and his demeanor seemed colder now.

"Get in or you will never get this chance, Emily. Don't test my patience," Mu Liam said sternly.

"It's okay, Mr. Mu Liam."

"Emily, there are no taxis around here. It's a one-hour drive to get to your home. Are you willing to walk there by yourself?"

As he spoke, the reality of the situation sunk in. It was far too risky to walk alone in the dark, especially for an hour. Feeling like I had no other option, I reluctantly got inside his car, and the driver began to drive.

"How did you know that I was around here?" I questioned, my curiosity piqued.

"Wait a minute, don't tell me you followed me all the way here?" I said, a hint of suspicion in my voice.

Mu Liam's response was calm but slightly enigmatic, "Don't overthink it, Emily." The way he said my name sent chills down my spine, and I couldn't shake the feeling that there was more to this situation than met the eye.

I kept my mouth shut as we arrived at my house. The lights were on and i was still thinking if my mom was still  awake. The car stopped in front of the door without making a sound.

"Thank you," I said as I opened the door. He didn't answer.

"Good night," I whispered, closing the door. I slowly made my way to the door, but as I reached it, the car drove away. I closed the door behind me and finally entered my house.

Inside, I saw my mom asleep on the sofa, waiting for me. I felt guilty for keeping her up, so I brought a blanket to cover her and keep her warm.

{2:00am}

I woke up feeling refreshed from a good night's sleep. Stretching my arms above my head, I made my way to the bathroom to wash my face and get ready for the day ahead. The cool water splashed against my face, waking me up fully.After changing into fresh clothes and brushing my teeth, I made my way downstairs to the inviting aroma of breakfast that filled the air. The scent of pancakes and bacon wafted through the house, making my stomach growl in anticipation.

The sun gently filtered through the sheer curtains, casting a soft, golden glow in the room as I entered the kitchen to find my mom already busy preparing breakfast. The aroma of freshly brewed coffee and sizzling bacon filled the air, creating a warm and inviting atmosphere.

"Good morning," I greeted my mom with a smile, grateful for her presence and the effort she put into starting the day on a positive note. She turned around, her face lighting up with a smile that reached her eyes, radiating love and warmth.

"Have you slept?" my mom asked, her voice soft and soothing.

"Yes, mom, and you?" I replied, returning the caring gesture.

Her gentle laugh echoed in the room as she nodded, "Yes, I managed to catch some rest."

"I saw you on the sofa sleeping yesterday, so I didn't want to wake you up," I explained, remembering how peaceful she looked in her slumber.

"It's okay, I woke up at night after you slept, then I moved to my room," she shared, her voice tinged with a hint of amusement.

We sat down at the table, enjoying the delicious breakfast she had prepared - fluffy pancakes, crispy bacon, and a steaming cup of coffee. The room was filled with the sound of our laughter and conversation, creating a sense of harmony and connection between us.

After savoring the last bite of the meal, I excused myself from the table, feeling grateful for the love and support of my mom. As I stepped out of the house, the vibrant colors of the flowers in the garden greeted me, and a gentle breeze ruffled my hair, signaling the beginning of a new day filled with endless possibilities. Today was going to be a good day.

After finishing breakfast, I made my way to the bus stop, the chatter of birds and the rustling of leaves accompanying me on my journey to Mu's company. As I stepped inside the bustling building, my eyes quickly scanned the room, landing on Maria and Jason conversing in a corner.

Confusion clouded my thoughts as I wondered what Jason was doing here. I hesitated for a moment before walking towards them, a mix of curiosity and unease swirling within me. Maria noticed my approach and beamed, extending her arms for a warm embrace.

"Good morning, my dear," Maria greeted, enveloping me in a tight hug that conveyed a sense of comfort and familiarity.

"Good morning," I replied, reciprocating the embrace before turning to face Jason, who also offered a hug that felt strangely familiar yet different.

My heart fluttered in my chest, a strange sensation of excitement mingled with uncertainty washing over me. I tried to calm my racing heart, noticing that it was still beating faster than usual, but not as frantic as before. Jason's presence was both comforting and unsettling, stirring up emotions I had long buried.

As I stood facing Jason, a whirlwind of emotions swirled within me. Confusion, curiosity, and a hint of nervousness tugged at my heart. The unexpected presence of Jason in the company, coupled with Maria's abrupt departure, heightened my senses, and I found myself on the edge of anticipation.

"Jason, what are you doing here?" I inquired, my voice laced with a mix of surprise and intrigue. Jason met my gaze with a solemn expression, his eyes betraying a sense of determination.

"I came here to talk to you," Jason replied, his voice steady but tinged with an underlying emotion that I couldn't quite decipher. My attention briefly shifted to Mu Liam, whose presence in the corner of the room did not go unnoticed. His intense gaze bore into me, adding a layer of tension to the already charged atmosphere.

I turned back to Jason, giving him my full attention. "Go ahead, I'm listening," I urged, my voice calm but internally buzzing with questions and uncertainty. Maria excused herself, leaving us alone in the moment, her departure sparking a sense of isolation amidst the company's bustling activity.

As Jason hesitated, taking a deep breath before speaking, I sensed a shift in the air. His words hung between us, pregnant with unspoken meaning. "Emily, look, I..." Jason began, his words trailing off as he struggled to find the right way to express himself.

"You what?" I prompted, my tone curious yet tinged with a hint of apprehension. Jason's next words caught me off guard, his confession piercing through the air with unexpected clarity.

"We have been friends from childhood to now, but I feel different about you. I mean, different," Jason confessed, his gaze locking with mine in a vulnerability that I had never seen before. His words hung in the air, leaving me speechless as I grappled to understand the depth of what he was trying to convey.

"Jason, can you tell me what is different?" I asked, my voice tinged with a mix of confusion and curiosity. Before Jason could respond, a sudden, icy voice cut through the tension from behind me, sending a chill down my spine.

"Emily," Mu Liam's voice rang out, its coldness palpable in the air. I turned to face him, my heart racing as I registered his presence in the room. The realization dawned on me - he had been there all along, silently observing our exchange. My mind raced with questions and unease, wondering what implications his sudden appearance held for the unfolding situation.

******

Author Note: If you enjoyed this chapter, please consider hitting the vote button to show your appreciation! Your feedback is greatly appreciated and check out my Instagram account-gu_soya