Chapter 9

"Emily," Mu Liam's voice rang out, its coldness palpable in the air. I turned to face him, my heart racing as I registered his presence in the room. The realization dawned on me - he had been there all along, silently observing our exchange. My mind raced with questions and unease, wondering what implications his sudden appearance held for the unfolding situation.

----------------------

ℭ𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 9

---------------------

"Can I help you?" I asked, furrowing my brows in confusion, trying to decipher his unexpected presence.

His response was silence, but his intense gaze remained fixed on Jason's eyes.

"I need to talk to Emily alone. Can you give us some space?" Jason's voice cut through the tension, his expression unreadable.

"S-p-a-c-e.," Liam murmured, his lips barely moving as his eyes locked in a silent battle with Jason's. Each subtle shift in their expressions spoke volumes, a silent clash of wills unfolding before me.

Jason reached out and gently took my hand, his touch sending a shiver down my spine. I felt torn between them, unsure of what was about to unfold.

Feeling self-conscious and unsure of where to look, I glanced nervously between the three men. Then Tomas arrived, his presence adding another layer of complexity to the already tense atmosphere. He exchanged rapid, silent words with Liam, their lips moving in sync but without a sound, like a secret language only they understood.

"Emily," Tomas called out, breaking the uneasy silence as I began to walk away with Jason.

I turned back to face him, pausing in my steps and releasing Jason's hand.

"Yes?" I responded, my voice betraying a mix of uncertainty and apprehension.

"Is it you, Emily?" Tomas's tone was grave, his expression inscrutable.

"Yes, it's me," I confirmed, feeling a knot tighten in my stomach as I braced myself for whatever was to come.

"You need to finish the project I left on your desk last night. Get to work on it," Tomas instructed briskly, his words hitting me like a ton of bricks. The weight of his command settled heavily on my shoulders, leaving me feeling overwhelmed and slightly dazed. How could there be so much work piled on me within a week?

"On my way," I mumbled, torn between the conflicting emotions swirling inside me. Turning towards Jason, I managed a weak smile. "I have to go. You can head back," I said, hoping he could sense the turmoil beneath my calm facade.

With that, I walked briskly towards the elevator, my mind racing with unanswered questions and apprehension about the task ahead. As the doors closed behind me, I couldn't shake the feeling that something significant was about to unfold, and I was right in the midst of it.

I arrived at my workspace, greeted by the sight of a mountain of documents neatly arranged on my desk. As I settled into my chair and began perusing through the tasks at hand, the soft hum of the office enveloped me.

An hour passed quickly, and soon hunger called for a lunch break. I grabbed my bag and rose from my desk, ready to take a brief respite. Just as I was about to step away, a gentle voice called out, "Excuse me." Surprised, I turned around to find a young girl with striking white-colored hair and piercing blue eyes standing before me.

She held out a stack of papers, informing me, "These documents were sent by Mu liam. He instructed me to inform you to complete this work before leaving." Her voice was soft yet firm, leaving me with a sense of urgency. Feeling a pang of hunger mixed with curiosity, I replied, "Oh, okay," accepting the documents from her hands. I made my way back to my desk, eager to tackle the new task.

The hours ticked by, and as the sky outside grew darker, I found myself engrossed in my work. The office gradually emptied, leaving me alone in the quiet space, illuminated only by the soft glow of my computer screen. Despite the solitude, I pushed forward, determined to finish the task at hand before calling it a day.

A gentle, familiar voice called out from behind me, breaking my focus. I turned around to find Jason standing there, a warm smile on his face and food in his hands. A rush of happiness washed over me at the sight of him. "Hi, hungry," he said playfully.

"Yeah, I am," I chuckled, feeling a mix of surprise and delight at his sudden appearance. Jason walked over and set the food down on the table, taking a seat beside me.

"Didn't you have dinner?" I asked, curious about why he had shown up with food. "I didn't. I just found out you were working, so I came here to eat with you. I hope that's okay," Jason explained, his eyes filled with kindness.

"No, it's fine. Thanks, by the way," I replied, feeling a wave of gratitude for his thoughtfulness. As I lifted the lid of the takeout container, the aroma of the food filled the air, making my stomach growl in anticipation. I picked up a spoon and began to eat, savoring each bite.

Jason joined me, and soon we were both enjoying the meal together. "Is it delicious?" he asked, his gaze filled with curiosity and warmth. I couldn't help but smile at his question. "Yes, it's really delicious," I said, feeling touched by his gesture of sharing this moment with me.

From the corner of my eye, I caught a glimpse of someone familiar. My heart skipped a beat as I recognized Liam standing there, but before I could fully process it, he vanished into thin air. I gasped, feeling a sense of unease wash over me, but when I turned to look, he was nowhere to be found.

"What's wrong?" Jason asked, noticing the sudden change in my demeanor. I hesitated for a moment, unsure of how to explain what I had just witnessed. "I think I saw someone, but now they're gone," I muttered, feeling a shiver run down my spine.

Jason's expression softened as he reached out a hand to comfort me. "It's okay, maybe it was just your imagination," he reassured me, his presence offering solace in the unsettling moment. Feeling a sense of reassurance, I slowly sank back into my chair, grateful for his support.

But deep down, a sense of unease lingered, and I couldn't shake off the feeling that something was not quite right. Liam's sudden appearance and disappearance left a lingering sense of mystery in the air, casting a shadow over what had started as a simple shared meal with Jason.

*******

Author note :-I apologize for not posting last week, but I hope you enjoy this chapter. Please don't forget to vote and comment. Thank you.

See you on next chapter:)