re; zero o'clock.

re; a prefix, occurring originally in loanwords from latin, used with the meaning "again" or "again and again" to indicate repetition, or with the meaning "back" or "backward" to indicate withdrawal or backward motion.

Regulus felt like there was something he was forgetting. It was a constant sentiment that laid low, always resurfacing at certain points in time. There was a tug on his heart and a thrum in the back of his head. But every time he tried to reach out for it, to remember, it always slipped away from his fingers, like trying to cup water in your hands.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regulus was silent as he peered down to the streets from his floor-to-ceiling windows in his apartment. It was the 31st of December, so it would obviously be very busy during this time of the year. He took a sip of his coffee and glanced at the clock.

11:32 a.m.

Sirius and Remus were supposed to arrive two minutes ago for lunch together. Are they going to be late? Well, it does seem like Sirius to forget time...

Regulus furrowed his eyebrows.

Speaking of forgetting things, Regulus felt like there was something else he was forgetting. It was a constant sentiment that laid low, always resurfacing at certain points in time. There was a tug on his heart and a thrum in the back of his head. But every time he tried to reach out for it, to remember, it always slipped away from his fingers, like trying to cup water in your hands.

Regulus snapped out of his thoughts when he heard the beeping of the security code on his apartment door. Ah, it must be Sirius.

"Reggie! How are you?" Sirius burst through the door with bags of groceries in hand. He was smiling brightly as he immediately sauntered into the kitchen. Remus staggered behind him, cane in hand, with a red face and a lipstick stain that he failed to clean off completely at the base of his neck.

Regulus narrowed his eyes to both his brother and brother-in-law. Okay. Well, that was certainly something.

"Sirius, why did you bring so much stuff?" Regulus asked, making his way to the kitchen. He saw Sirius taking out and sorting the stuff from the grocery bags, pulling out drawers and opening the cabinets one by one.

"Well, your apartment looks like a soulless mental ward, so I thought I should at least make sure you have enough supplies to last you a while, lest you starve to death because of how you almost never go outside," Sirius said as-a-matter-of-factly with a hand on his hip.

Regulus furrowed his eyebrows. "'Supplies'?" he mumbled. "Never mind that! I thought you said you were going to bring the food with you. Where is it? Did you forget to grab the takeout again?"

Sirius snorted, "Who said anything about takeout? Obviously, I'm going to make it from scratch."

"What?"

"I'm going to make it from scratch?"

"You're going to make it. From scratch," Regulus raised an eyebrow. "Are you hearing yourself right now?"

Sirius just had an oblivious smile on his face.

Regulus turned to look at Remus, his eyes wide and his expression horrified. Remus could only shake his head and sigh.

"Okay, well, at least let me help you," Regulus said, hurrying over to the counter next to Sirius. He really doesn't trust his brother with a knife. He doesn't trust his brother in the kitchen at all, really. The last time he saw Sirius actually cooking — or at least attempted to — was when he was sixteen. Their parents were away, all the maids were sleeping so they didn't want to wake anyone, and they were both quite hungry in the middle of the night. Sirius had made an absolute mess when he made what he claimed to be chicken soup. Well, the pieces of chicken were hard as rocks, the smell was questionable, and the soup itself had the consistency of wet cement. It was a miracle the kitchen survived. In the end, some of the maids woke up anyway to clean up all the mess and whipped up a quick snack for the two brothers — causing both Sirius and Regulus to feel terrible. They did say it was fine, but Regulus still feels guilty to this day.