Barn Burner

If someone had told James Potter, a cheerful twelve year old and number one troublemaker, that later in his life he would fall madly in love with the little boy covered in dark curls who stumbled after Sirius Black at the train station, clutching the sleeve of the older boy's jacket as if his life depended on it, James would have laughed to their face.

But now that James sees an older and grown up Regulus Black play hockey like he was born for it, scoring a goal and doing a J with his glove, he knows the fall will be painful.

And inevitable.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If someone had told James Potter, a cheerful twelve year old and the school's number one troublemaker, infatuated with his beautiful and freckled classmate Lily Evans and always looking for a new prank to look cool in the eyes of the hockey players in their last year, that later in his life he would fall madly in love with the boy covered in dark curls who stumbled after Sirius Black at the train station, clutching the sleeve of the older boy's jacket as if his life depended on it, James would have laughed to their face.

Don't get him wrong. It took years. Decades, even.

"Sirius!" James shouts, waving his arm for his best friend to see as said best friend twists his body from side to side to spot his friends. Inevitably, the child attached to him, who is visibly smaller, is abruptly thrown from one side to the other as well. But the iron grip on the older boy's sleeve stays there the whole time.

"There you are!" Sirius lights up at the sight of them, before striding towards them. James holds back a laugh as he sees the poor little one being dragged too.

Sirius throws himself at them, which is a little tricky given that one arm is unavailable. James now gives a slightly annoyed look at the kid who won't let them hug in peace.

The two large eyes that return his gaze, of a strange blue and gray color and filled with tears, immediately make James regret his annoyance.

"Ah, I missed you," Sirius says. Remus smiles at him and Peter jumps excitedly, immediately starting to tell Sirius about the summer and the girl who planted a kiss on his cheek when she said goodbye to him the day before. Sirius gasps, "You're not serious, Pete! You a kiss before me? I'll have to start my game at school!" He almost shouts, and Peter laughs, delighted. "We already made a bet on who will get the most kisses! James refuses to participate because he says he's only interested in Lily, isn't that true, James?"

"Very true," James confirms, sending Sirius a knowing grin. Sirius raises an eyebrow, imitating his expression perfectly. "She has already looked at me twice since she arrived. This is my good year, I can feel it."

"She's already yours, mate." Sirius confirms with a sneer.

The thing about Sirius Black, and what made him James' favorite person ever, was that he was the perfect friend. Not just to James, but for everyone. He had this strange ability to match his own energy depending on the person he was talking to, without making anyone feel out of place, exaggerated, or too quiet. Everyone loved him, because not only was Sirius Black hilarious, but he was able to perfectly understand someone's wavelength, and adapt. He could be bubbly and energetic with James, always ready for a laugh and a joke with Peter, and sweet and quiet with Remus.

They chat for a few more seconds, before a small voice makes Sirius divert his attention from the conversation.

"Sirius," The kid behind him, who James knows must be Sirius' little brother from all the times his friend had talked about him, looks at them terrified for having interrupted them. James, although he wasn't very interested in knowing him, looks at him curiously.