-8-

A while later, Kat walked outside for some fresh air. The cool night breeze greeted her as she stepped onto the porch, spotting Billie leaning against the railing with a cigarette in hand. The faint glow from the tip of Billie's cigarette cast shadows that danced with the subtle movement of her lips.

"Mind if I join you?" Kat asked, settling down on the veranda.

"Are you drunk?" Billie asked softly.

"Yes," Kat assured. "Can I have a hit from your cigarette?"

"Since when do you smoke?" Billie raised an eyebrow.

"Only when I'm drunk," Kat explained.

Billie exhaled deeply, the smoke escaping from her mouth as she walked over and sat beside Kat, handing her a cigarette.

"Thanks," Kat said, taking a deep inhale and instantly feeling the nicotine hit her system. "These are strong," she coughed, passing the cigarette back to Billie.

"Well, yeah. It's not good for you anyway," Billie remarked, taking the cigarette back.

"Do you remember the first time we met?" Kat asked lost in thoughts as memories of their first meeting flooded her mind.

****Flashback*****

Kats POV

"Oh by the way that's Billie, a friend of mine. She's also goes to our school," Lauren said and pointed the girl next to her.

The girl closely examined me. She had long silver dyed hair and was honestly one of the prettiest girls I've ever seen. She took a drag of her cigarette, looking me up and down. I've never understood why people smoked, I always believed it was just a waste of money, a dumb addiction. Sure, when you were younger you thought they looked so cool, so mature,  but overall the addiction wasn't worth the consequences in my opinion. I only smoked when I was drunk, otherwise I'd get sick and feel like throwing up.

"What's up, I'm Billie," the girl introduced herself.

"Kat," I said. "what class are you in?"

She smiled. "3g"

"Oh," I said confused. „Then we are in the same year."

"looks like it," she said, before she blew out some smoke from her lungs.

As Billie's eyes met mine, I had the urge to speak up again. "Crazy how I've never seen you around before."

"I was homeschooled most of my life before, so I only joined a real school very recently."

"Ah," I said "I was about to say, I think I would have remembered a face like yours"

"A face like mine?" Billie raised an eyebrow.

"yea, it's very mesmerizing," I smiled. "I mean not only your face, your hair, clothing style. I'm sure I would have remembered."

Billie turned around to Lauren and said "She's cute," not even bothering to try to reduce her volume. Then she turned back around and smiled at me softly as she examined me closely again. My cheeks were pink already. I wasn't used to someone taking me in the way she did. Usually it was just a quick "Hi nice to meet you accompanied with a short smile.

"Stop Billie," Lauren laughed. "She has a boyfriend.

"too bad," Billie teased, flashing a playful grin

*****end of flashback***

"Yea of course, that was like last year or something. I was almost about to ask you out,"  she chuckled.

"you were?" Kat asked in disbelieve.

"Jup,"

"Why didn't you," Kat asked shyly.

"Well for starters, you had a boyfriend back then and everyone thought you're straight, but I thought you were very beautiful,"

Kat blushed at that comment. "I'm still straight," she defended herself.

"Yet, you made out with me the other night." Billie chuckled.

"only because I was drunk"

Billie decided to let it go and changed the topic: "So, what are you doing outside?" she asked.

"Just getting some air, I guess," Kat replied truthfully. "And you?"

"Just smoking a cigarette. Noah is already asleep," Billie noted.

"So, Noah and you, you're really a thing now?" Kat asked, somewhat awkwardly.

Billie hesitated. "Uh, well, we're getting there, I guess, but I don't know. I think we both don't want something too serious."

"But do you like him?" Kat furrowed her brows, sensing a hint of discomfort in the air.

"I don't know, I guess. I'm a bit confused about everything right now," Billie admitted, flicking the ash from her cigarette.

"Hmm, I think it's better to drop the whole 'dating my brother' topic. It's just... weird," Kat realized uncomfortably.

Billie let out a small laugh, smoke trailing from her lips. "Avoiding the topic again, huh? You really don't like talking about me being with your brother."

Kat shrugged. "It's just not something I need to focus on, you know?"

Billie raised an eyebrow, her eyes narrowing playfully. "Or is it that you dislike the idea of me dating your brother?"

Kat rolled her eyes. "Please, Billie. It's not about disliking. It's just... complicated."

Billie leaned in, a sly grin playing on her lips. "Why complicated? I thought you're not into girls at all?"

"I'm not," Kat insisted, but the teasing glint in Billie's eyes told her she wasn't buying it.

"Then why is it complicated?" Billie asked skeptically.

"I mean, we kissed, Billie. And I know I said something else, but it wasn't just a normal kiss. There was something there," Kat admitted, realizing she was revealing more than intended and she'll probably regret it again once sober.

"So, you did feel it too, huh?" Billie's face softened.

Kat nodded silently. "However, that still doesn't mean I like you like that. I'm really not into girls like that."

"Okay, I guess I have to accept that then. But is that the reason why you've been acting so cold towards me before?"

Kat nodded again. "It's just confusing now that you're dating Noah."

Billie looked at her understandingly. "Confusing, huh?"

"Yeah, confusing," Kat repeated, avoiding her gaze.

Billie leaned back on the veranda stairs, her lips forming a thoughtful smile. "Maybe it doesn't have to be as complicated as you're making it. I mean, people experiment. There's nothing wrong with that."

"Yeah, but it's not about experimenting, Billie. I just don't want things to be weird between us if you're really serious about my brother," Kat explained.

"Well, Kat, you know life doesn't have to be black and white always. Sometimes there's a chemistry you can't understand, and I don't think you have to. Sometimes it's just that, a connection you can acknowledge that it's there and just leave it at that," Billie smiled, caressing Kat's knee.

"I guess you're right," Kat agreed, thankful for Billie's easygoing nature.

Billie tilted her head, her eyes searching Kat's. A gentle smile played on her lips as she narrowed the distance between them. For a moment, Kat thought she might be leaning in for a kiss, and her heart started racing. Unexpectedly, Billie's lips met Kat's forehead in a soft, fleeting kiss. "Bye, KitKat," she whispered, disappearing into the night, leaving Kat alone outside, still processing the moment. As the party noise died down, Kat collected herself and headed back inside.

——————
I hope you like where my book is going:) if so please give it a like !! I love y'all thank you for supporting me 🫶🏼