-25-

The next day Ivan picked up Kat in his car from her place.

"Hi beautiful," Ivan greeted Kat with a kiss.

"Hi beautiful," Kat reciprocated. "So where are we going?"

"Just gonna walk around the botanical garden for a bit"

"Oh that sound very nice actually!"

"Yea, I figured you'd like it!" He smiled genuinely, his eyes fixated on the road.

A few minutes later they arrived and as they walked around, Ivan's hand brushes against Kat's when he suddenly took it into his. It felt a bit off, she couldnt describe it further, just a bit off, not like it was supposed to be held. Kat was still lost in thoughts, as he stops abruptly and turns to her, a practiced smile playing on his lips.

"Kat, this is nice isn't it?"

Before she can respond, Ivan leans in and kisses her. Kat pulls back slightly, a bit overwhelmed by the sudden kiss.

"Yeah, it's a really nice place, I love coming here"

"Oh, you've been here before?" Ivan said almost sadly.

"Yea, I used to go here a lot with my parents. Havent you?"

"no, no, I have, its just I was hoping I'd be the first to show you around," he said disappointed.

"It's like my first time with you," Kat smiled.

"Sweet, but oh look, do you see the food track ?"

"Yea, I haven't tried it though"

"Perfect, then we'll get you some snack"

They reached a food stall featuring an array of exotic dishes and Ivan ordered two spicy tamales without consulting her.

"You'll love these, I promise! They're the best here. I sometimes come here just for them"

Kat watched as Ivan handed her a tamale, his face lit with excitement. She tried with enthusiasm, but the spice was too much to handle.

"It's very... spicy." Kat coughed, struggling with her food.

"I knew you'd find it exciting! It's all about trying new things, right?

Kat nodded, her smile faltering as she reached for her water, trying to soothe the burning sensation on her tongue. Tears already formed in her eyes, but she didn't wanna be rude and not finish the food he bought for her, so she forced it down gradually.

Suddenly, Ivan's phone buzzes, and he's quick to answer, laughing at a message as he shows his phone to Kat.

"Look at this meme! It's hilarious, right?"

Kat forces a small chuckle. The meme feels slightly off-color, it really wasn't funny.

"Oh remember how I told you about dance?" Ivan shifted the conversation.

"Yea of course."

"I am literally so mad right now,"

"Why?" Kat asked confused.

"They ended up not choosing me to be the Team captain, can you believe it? I really dont understand how they can choose Billie over me?"

"Billie is the captain?" Kat raised an eyebrow.

"Yea, can you believe it? It's so unfair, I've been working for it for years and she just switched to our team a year ago."

"I am sorry for you Ivan, I am sure your time will come"