-26-

"So how is it going with that Ivan guy ?" Noah teased Kat enthusiastically.

"Um, we just broke it off to be honest"

"Oh, I am sorry to hear,"

"Nah it is okay, it was me who ended it"

"Really? I thought you got along well," Noah asked surprised.

"Yea, we did, but I dont know i think I just wasn't ready for anything serious, I couldnt give back the same feelings"

"That sucks, but good that you're realised now at least before it is too deep in the relationship. I am sure the right person will come Kat,"

"Thanks Noah, but I really don't want to date anyone right now,"

"Okay," he laughed.

"Yo, did you hear about cousin Derek's?" Kat started, shaking her head in disbelief. "He accidentally dyed his hair green. Well he wanted to go for silver, but somehow the chemicals reacted badly on his head and it turned green"

Noah chuckled. "No way! That's classic Derek. How did Aunt Jenna react to his new neon hair?"

"Let's just say she's not thrilled,'" Kat replied, both of them laughing at the thought. "But honestly it suits him though, he looks like a street model or sth,"

"ugh I can't wait to see it,"

After a moment, their laughter died down, and they fell into a comfortable silence, enjoying the afternoon breeze. Noah glanced over at Kat, watching her as she took a sip from her drink.

"Hey, so I've been meaning to ask you," he began, "Are you and Billie okay? You two used to be very close, but it seems like you've been kind of distant lately."

Kat, caught off guard by the question, paused for a moment, searching for the right words. "Oh, uh, yeah, we're fine. Just been busy, you know? With school and everything," she replied, hoping her brother wouldn't dig deeper.

Noah nodded, seemingly satisfied with the answer but still a bit concerned. "Okay, just checking. Billie mentioned she hasn't seen much of you either. Thought maybe you two had a fight or something," he said, shrugging.

Kat felt a little guilt at her brother's words. It was true; she had been avoiding Billie, but not for the reasons Noah might think, she was keeping her distance because she felt guilty about the secret kiss they shared. "No, nothing like that. Just... life, getting in the way, I guess," she offered, forcing a small smile.

Noah studied her for a moment, sensing there was more to it but deciding not to push it. "Well, if there's ever anything you want to talk about, you know I'm here, right? Billie's great, but I'm your brother. Your stuff comes first."

Kat's heart warmed up at his sweet words. "Thanks, Noah. I know, and I appreciate it. Really," she said, her voice filled with gratitude.

Today was a small family gathering at Kats house. Her mum invited her grandparents and cousins and apparently Noah did convince Billie to come as well after all.

"Kat please come help us in the kitchen," her mother screamed.

"Coming," Kat screamed back, carrying a handful of plates from the dining table.

"Billie, have you tried the apple pie? My mom makes the best in the state, I swear," Noah bragged, passing a slice in Billies mouth,"

'Disgusting,' Kat thought as she made her way to help her mom. When Billie turned to give Noah a kiss, Kats heart arched. 'Why does this have to be so hard?' she thought. 'Why can't I just be happy for them?'