IV

VOTE!

Benaam rishton ki manzil ke aade hain

Khaare raste, khaare raste

Kehta na koyi, par kishton mein chubhte hain

Khaare raste, khaare raste

--------------------------------

AUTHOR'S POV

As Aradhana and Suhani made their way to Dadu's room, with Rudransh trailing behind, Rudransh's heart rate surged just as it had two years prior when he first laid eyes on her outside the courtroom.

Exiting his car at the main gate, he walked towards the mansion's entrance. There, he saw his mother and aunt conversing with a woman whose identity he had known since morning.

The realization that his heart, which he believed only served to pump blood, could race at the mere presence of her was strange.

And Rudransh Singh Shekhawat, he has an affinity for the strange.

Approaching the door, Suhani signaled to Aradhana to open it. Taking a deep breath, Aradhana turned the knob, pushed the door open, and as the sound of the door echoed, all eyes turned towards them.

Aradhana's gaze quickly found the man seated on the single-seater sofa. Without hesitation, she strode over and knelt before Viraj Singh Shekhawat.

As the elderly man caught sight of her, his smile broadened, and he tenderly held her face in his trembling hands, while she, beaming, placed her hands over his.

"Kaise hain aap, Raj Dadu?" Aradhana asked, overwhelmed by the situation around her. Viraj's eyes also shone, and he smiled widely while replying.

"Main badhiya hoon, aap batao aap kaise ho, Princess?" She chuckled at the nickname he always used for her, shook her head, kissed his palms, and held them in her hands.

"Main khush hoon, Raj Dadu," she said, attempting to smile as tears gathered in the corners of her eyes. She blinked rapidly, looked to his right, and smiled upon seeing Dadi Ji, Sushma Singh Shekhawat. She had met her only once, but she remembered her as nice and kind.

Aradhana rose from her knees and approached her. Sushma was sitting on the large sofa. Aradhana sat beside her, gave her a side hug, and Sushma, seeing her, patted her cheeks and enveloped her in a hug. Her voice turned hoarse, and tears formed in her eyes after seeing Aradhana after so long.

"Meri Bachchi," she said, patting her back. Hearing her voice, Aradhana broke the hug and cupped her face in her hands.

"Kya hua, Dadi Sa?" Aradhana asked, confused by the sudden change in emotions that didn't settle with her.

"I just feel bad for you; anything could have happened to you, but"—Aradhana knew where this was going, so she interrupted.

"Shh, Dadi, don't say anything. Look, I am breathing; I am fine, please."

She said, wiped her tears with her thumb, rested her head on Sushma's shoulder, and wrapped her arms around her hand. Sushma just smiled and patted her in a loving manner.

Viraj and Sushma felt immense guilt for not being there when their princess, Aradhna, needed them the most. Viraj blamed himself, believing that her life would not have been so difficult had they been present.