XVIII

VOTE!

Dhage tod laao chaanadani se noor ke

ghoonghat hi bana lo roshani se noor ke

sharm aa gayi toh aaghosh mein lo

ho saanson se ulajhi rahein meri saansein

-------------------------

Aradhana's POV

"Late, late, late," I muttered, hastily grabbing my belongings and rushing towards the elevator. I pressed the button, slipped on my sandals quickly, and stepped inside.

Again, I'm late. I don't know why I keep sleeping in. As much as I enjoy the sleep, I despise being late. I let out a heavy sigh and glanced at the mirror, noticing no bags under my eyes I smile, since I've been sleeping well. Adjusting the pallu near my chest, my thoughts drifted to that day, our reception day.

It's been two days since our reception and his confession. The way he said, "You belong to me," still sends chills down my spine. I shiver again as it echoes in my mind. Shaking my head, I attempt to divert my thoughts, but the memories persist in the back of my mind—the dance, his gestures, my words, and then his—all of it.

I despise the recollection, yet I cannot deny it was the most perfect and best dance I've ever experienced. It was my first couple's dance, and it was... simply perfect.

And with none other than,

My husband.

I sigh; it's Monday, and I am returning to university today after a two-week break. Initially, I didn't think the dean would grant me such a long leave, but when I called to ask, he immediately declared that I could take as much time as I needed. I was surprised, but it was a generous offer, so why not?

Starting today, my routine will also resume. I got married, and this is my new reality that I need to adapt to.

I've come to accept that I am married to him, and I need to go with the flow because there's not much else, I can do.

So, just accept it, Aradhana.

As the lift door pinged open, I hurried into the living room, tossed my bag onto the sofa, and dashed toward the pooja room. Since yesterday, I've been joining Dadi Ji for morning prayers. Initially, she hesitated but eventually agreed and instructed me to be there at 7 AM sharp. And now, I'm late by 24 minutes.

Argh, why do I have to sleep like a log? When I lived alone, sleep eluded me, and now, I manage to get a solid six hours without understanding how. Muttering to myself, disappointed by my own self, I quickly make my way toward the temple area.

As I arrived, I saw Dadi sa and Maa standing there, and Choti Ma was cleaning the idols of Shiv Ji and Maa Parvati, a task that was assigned to me. I felt like crying; it was I who should have been doing it, yet there I was, having been asleep.

As my bangles jingled, they all turned towards me, except for Dadi Sa. She stood there, focusing on organizing the aarti thali. Maa gave me a sympathetic look and Choti maa shook her head. I gulped and approached Dadi Sa, who was already displeased by my presence.