IX

Long chapter ahead

So, VOTE! 

And do FOLLOW me!

Salma sitaaron wali

Shagna di shab aayi re

Banno se baane ke

Milne ki jo rut laayi re

Shehnaayi yun goonji

Sabki aankhein bhar aayi re

--------------------------

ARADHANA'S POV

Today is my wedding day,

I am getting married again.

It has been two weeks since I agreed to marry him—more like he coerced me into agreeing. Since then, I've only seen him twice: once at our engagement a week ago, which lasted only until the ring ceremony, and then at the sangeet, briefly during a performance. I don't mind; it's better when he keeps his distance.

Such a manipulator he is.

Nonetheless, the festivities—Mehndi, sangeet, Haldi—were enjoyable. The entire family had a good time, and I tried to as well, despite the lingering fear of him becoming my husband.

I've become acquainted with every member of his family; they're all pleasant people. His mother, in particular, is the kindest person—so caring and protective of her loved ones. And it's clear that he is her favorite child.

She always praises and compliments him; her world revolves around her elder son. It's not that she ignores Ranvijay—no, absolutely not—but she does show favoritism towards him.

His aunt and cousin are peculiar; they don't speak to me, but the way they look at me with disgust and hatred sends chills down my spine. And Dadi Sa doesn't even glance my way, let alone speak.

I can't pinpoint what's wrong, but I sense that something is off.

Everyone else—Dadu, both uncles, Vineta Aunty, his siblings, and cousins—are such kind and wonderful people. They've never made me feel unworthy or brought up my past. Virendra Uncle even said that I am like a daughter to him and that I will always be loved by them.

Being ignored and abandoned by my own family and then being accepted and treated with respect by his family makes me feel blessed.

I may not care about him, but I will always care about this new family of mine.

As for my family, both my maternal and paternal relatives are present. My father, his wife, and their daughter are behaving like guests, which I'm thankful for because I don't want them to get involved or cause a scene. Their quietness is a relief.

My dadu, Nanu, Nani, mama ji, mami ji, and my cousins with their wives are all here, fully immersed in every ritual and savoring the moment.

During my first wedding, none of them were present, which leads many to believe this is my first marriage. Their opinions don't concern me, but seeing my Nani and Nanu so overjoyed at this wedding fills me with happiness.

They even danced at my sangeet. Their joy is infectious, and it makes me feel happy and blessed. Lost in these thoughts, I was jolted back to reality by a voice—it was my paatti (Nani).