Ice & Villainy Pt. 1 - April 3rd

~Elena POV~

The sound of someone knocking on the door repeatedly jolted me out of my sleep. Grudgingly, I turned to the other side and tried to ignore it. However, the knocking persisted, and I knew I had to get out of bed. I groaned as I looked at the clock on the wall, which displayed the time as 5:00 am. It was still dark outside, and I was not ready to start my day so early.

As I dragged myself out of bed, I walked towards my vanity and caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror. The good thing was that my hair still looked great, despite being frozen from the cold temperature in my room. I had learned that freezing my hair was the best way to maintain its natural wavy texture. So, I melted the ice in my hair with my hands, watching with satisfaction as it gradually went back to its natural form.

I couldn't help but feel a sense of joy every time I saw my hair go back to its natural state. It was like a small victory every morning. Once my hair was back to its natural state, I headed towards the door to see who was knocking so persistently.

"Can I help you?" I asked in a sweet voice, trying not to come off as intimidating. The guard visibly stiffened, perhaps mistaking my tone for something else. "I...Uh... I'm sorry, Your Majesty, but Prince Ben requires your assistance in his office in an hour," he said, his voice faltering slightly. I nodded, trying to hide my annoyance. "Do you have any idea what it could be about?" I asked, hoping for some insight. "No, Your Majesty, just that it's important," the guard replied, standing at attention. I sighed, resigning myself to the fact that I would have to wait and see. "Alright, thank you. And please, call me Elena," I said with a smile, hoping to put the guard at ease. He nodded and marched away, leaving me to flop back onto my bed with a groan. "Ugh... Ben," I whined, grabbing a nearby pillow and pulling it over my face. "What could be so important that you had to wake me up at 5:00? 5:00, for God's sake," I grumbled, already dreading the day ahead.

*Time Skip*

As I got ready, I carefully picked out an off-shoulder, light purple dress that matched my purple heels. I completed the look by pulling my hair into a high pony. I knew I had to be extra careful with my gloves, making sure that they didn't have any cuts in them, so I double-checked before heading out. Glancing at my watch, I realized it was already 5.55. I rushed towards Ben's Office, trying to be as quiet as possible so as not to wake up the others.

As I entered the office, I saw Ben pacing around with a piece of paper in his hand. It looked like he was rehearsing a speech of some sort. He didn't seem to have noticed me yet. I decided to startle him a little and said, "If you called me at dawn to help you prepare for some sort of speech or have to do last-minute work or something, you got another thing coming."

He turned to me and said, "El', you're here. Please, I know this is early, but I need your help." I replied sternly, "Like I said, if it's for me to help you with a speech that you forgot to write, then..."

He quickly interrupted me and said, "No. No. I got the speech and stuff sorted. I just need your help with something else. But I feel like you should sit for this." He pulled an extra chair for me and asked me to sit down.

I said, "Okay...?" wearily, not knowing what to expect. He continued, "So you know I'm becoming the King in a couple of months, right?" I nodded. "Well, I got my first proclamation, and I need your help in telling my parents about it," he said.

I asked, "Sure, but why? I mean, it's not one of those serious ones where you decided to make 6 days of the week instead of 7, right?" I joked.

He replied, "No, but it's serious and life-changing." I straightened up a bit at that and looked at the proclamation paper he passed across the table.