Chapter 9

I woke up the next morning next to Rafe and smiled. He came over last night and spent the night with me. He's been acting a lot sweeter than usual lately, and I'm starting to think he might actually trust me now. I glanced over at him to see him still sleeping soundly and I reached for my phone to see a text from John B.

"Big news meet this morning." I'm supposed to go to this beach cleanup with Sarah and Topper this morning, but maybe I can get out of it somehow.

"Who's that?" Rafe's voice filled the room, still raspy with sleep as he wiped his eyes. I quickly exited out of the message and put my phone back down on the nightstand.

"Just Sarah asking me about today." I lied. He would flip out if he knew John B was texting me. He let out a hum in response, signaling he believed it.

"Today's the beach cleanup right?" He asked, as I turned to face him, and I nodded.

"You wanna join?"

"No, I can't. My dad needs to talk to me." I frowned at this. I know his dad has always favored Sarah and he's always been hard on Rafe.

"I might try to get out of it." I admitted. "I feel bad but I don't feel like third-wheeling Sarah and Top today." He let out a laugh at this.

"There's not much to third wheel, she doesn't even like him anyways." I gave him a confused look.
"What makes you say that?" I know she secretly has a crush on John B, but there's no way Rafe could know...right?

"She's my sister, and she's gone through enough boyfriends for me to know when she's not interested." That's fair, it's the same way I know she doesn't like him too. "I don't want to talk about her right now." He was quick to try to change the subject. It always bothered me how much Rafe and Sarah hate each other. Ward favors Sarah and lets her get away with everything, which made Rafe resent her. She hates him because that resentment has made him be so vicious towards her. My phone buzzed again and l ignored it but Rafe's gaze flickered over to it. "You gonna get that?" I shook my head no.

"It can wait." I brushed it off, although I'm itching to see what it says. A second later it buzzed again and I can see the wheels spinning in his head.

"Who is it?"

"Probably Sarah." He nodded, like he doesn't believe me and my heart rate picked up in fear as it buzzed another time. "Okay, so check then."

"Rafe come on." I huffed, and clearly my reaction is only making things worse as he moved up to grab it but I blocked him, getting it first. I looked at it to see the texts actually were from Sarah and relief washed over me.

"See Sarah."

"Right...then who's that?" I looked down to see another text had come through, this time from Pope and all it said was "wya"
"It's Pope." I answered him honestly.

"Pope? That pogue kid?" I could see the confusion in his face and my stomach twisted at the thought of another argument. "Why is he asking where you are?"

"It's not a big deal, I just made plans to hang out with Kie and I guess he's gonna be there." I hope he doesn't make this into something bigger than it has to be. He sat up, looking down at me sharply.

"So what you-you like hang out with the Pogues now? Is that it?"

"They're my friends, yeah." I brushed it off. "They're good people Rafe."

"Good people? Do you hear yourself right now?" He huffed. "Molly they're liars and-and thieves."

"Some sure, but not all of them." I argued. "Besides there's plenty of piece of shit kooks too." He opened his mouth to argue but I stopped him. "I don't want to talk about this anymore." I moved over so I was closer to him and planted a kiss on his lips. Within a second he kissed me back and then picked me up so I'm laying top of him.

"Are you trying to distract me?" He asked, with an amused look.

"Is it working?"

"Maybe." He gave in and I smiled before closing the gap between our lips again. The kiss heated up quickly and he rolled us over so now he's on top of me. My hands tangled in his hair as he began leaving kisses down my neck. I let out a small moan as he hit a sweet spot and he mumbled out "I love you" against me making me smile.

"I love you too." I told him and his eyes locked on mine as he pulled back and kissed me again.

"Hanging out with pogues, what am I gonna do with you?" He teased, and I shrugged.

"Anything you want to." I responded and a smirk crossed his face.

"Be careful what you wish for."

————————-

A few hours later I found myself on the boat with Topper and Sarah headed to the beach cleanup. Call it what you want but skipping out on doing something good like that has to be some sort of bad karma. I texted the Pogues to let them know I'm going to be busy today doing that and John B said he'll catch me up later. Rafe thankfully let the topic go but I know this is short lived. He despises the Pogues so me hanging out with them more often is not going to be something he's happy about.

As Topper drove the boat, we passed by the Pogue's and while I waived Sarah and Topper stared straight ahead ignoring them. "You don't gotta act like you don't see us bitch." Kiara yelled, and I bit back a laugh as Sarah tried to play it off like she didn't notice. Sarah let me know this morning that somehow Ward found out John B took the scuba gear and fired him. He assumed it was Sarah and lashed out at her.

"Was that really necessary guys?" | asked Top and Sarah once they were out of earshot.

"They're assholes." Topper responded, not even giving it a second thought.

"I'm pretty sure you were the one who KO'd John B on the beach." I reminded him about the stupid fight at the bonfire.

"They started it not me." He defended himself. "Besides since when do you defend the Pogues?" | shrugged at this.

"I just don't think they're as bad as you guys seem to think they are."

"Don't let Rafe hear you say that." He replied, and Sarah nodded in agreement. Se's tried to warn me multiple times about Rafe being a little unstable. I didn't say anything else and once we got to the beach we split up to start cleaning the trash.

————————-

Don't forget to vote.