Chapter 36

The next morning I made my way to the Cameron house and went up to the door just as Ward, Rose, and Wheezie were leaving. "Molly, hi."

Ward greeted, gesturing for the two of them to go to the car. Rafe's bike isn't here so this might be the prime opportunity for me to snoop around.

"Hi Mr. Cameron I just wanted to stop by and apologize for being so distant with you guys." I gave my fake apology, and made sure to show that I've been crying. "I've just been so lost since what happened with Sarah." I mustered up the best fake sobs I could and it worked because he pulled me in for a hug.

"I know sweetie, we all have." He comforted me.

"Um." I sniffled and wiped away my tears. "Last time I was here I left some of my things in her room and I just wanted to stop by and get them." He seemed a little hesitant at this. "If this is a bad time I can come ba-"

"No, no it's fine." He brushed it off. "Our home is your home just lock the door on your way out okay?" | nodded, and he gave me one last hug before going into the car with Rose and Wheezie. I walked through the front door of their house and closed the door as they pulled out of the driveway. As soon as it closed I let out a breath and flipped record on my phone before tucking it in my back pocket. Rafe's not here since his bike is gone but who knows what I'll find.

————————-

"Think Molly think." I muttered under my breath and made my way upstairs to Ward's office. I slipped inside and I remember thee night when Sarah and I came in here for the plat map that there's a safe behind the painting of Tanny on the wall. Sarah tried to open it that night but gave up on it and figured that he wouldn't have put something as simple as a map in there. I opened up his desk drawers just to be sure but i know if it's anywhere here it has to be in the safe. I went over to the window and peaked out it to make sure that both Rafe and the others didn't come back yet but thankfully the coast is clear.

I went over to the painting and pushed gently on the corner making it swing open and reveal the safe. I tried Ward's birthday first and it beeped and blinked red signaling that's not it. I tried Rafe's next, and unsurprisingly it blinked red again. I tried Sarah's and shockingly enough it beeped and turned green. "Yes!" I heard the click of the lock unlocking and opened it to see a lot of cash and some watches but no gun.

"Damn it!" I closed the safe and sighed. So much for that plan.

"Looking for something?" I jumped about ten feet in the air at the voice behind me.

"Rafe." I breathed out, both in fear and surprise. That's impossible there was no one home. I turned to face him and he stood in the doorway eyeing me down like I'm the one who killed someone. "I was-I was just-" I stumbled on my words, trying to wrack my brain for any sort of explanation but there isn't one. He knows I wouldn't need money from them so what the hell else would I be here for.

"Keep going, I'm enjoying watching you trying to come up for a reason as to why you were in our safe." He mocked me and I know there's no talking my way out of this. Time for plan B.

"Why'd you do it?" I asked him, flipping the tables of the conversation. I need a confession.

"Why'd I do what?" He played dumb.

"You know what Rafe." I huffed. "You killed Sheriff Peterkin."

"I didn't kill anyone Molly John B did." I shook my head at his words.

"There's no reason to lie Rafe it's just me and you here."

"I'm not lying I didn't do anything." He started walking a little closer to me and instinctively I took a few steps back and a look of confusion and hurt crossed his face. "You're scared of me?"